Skip to content

International students studying at NTU

Advice for international students

Join the virtual Global Lounge

The Virtual Global Lounge is a new platform managed by NTU Global with content from across Nottingham Trent University, providing entertainment and social support through promoting mental and social wellbeing and inclusivity.

I am an international student and want to return to my home country, can I?

Government advice is encouraging only essential travel currently. If you are able to stay in the accommodation you are in please do so. We know that this isn’t possible for everyone, so for any student that needs help we are here.

Please contact NTU accommodation on +44(0)115 848 2894, or out of hours please call +44 (0)115 848 6462. Or you can email with coronavirus in the subject line, so we can ensure you can access the support you need.

Face to face teaching paused on Monday 16 March to allow students to get to where they wanted to be before online teaching started on Monday 23 March. You can contact your tutor via NOW for you usual academic support and advice. All students received an update on any revised assessments and schedules by Tuesday 31 March.

A virtual Global Lounge is also available to all students offering entertainment and social support. To find out more please visit the Virtual Global Lounge.

If you do return home, please note that this will not be classified as an absence for Tier 4 purposes, provided you remain engaged with online learning. If you are on a Tier 4 visa, the University will continue to sponsor you during this period of teaching closure.

The latest foreign travel advice is available on the FCO website You will also need to note travel advice with the relevant health authority in your home country.

Be aware that the situation may change by the time you intend to return to the UK, so you should continue to check Public Health England advice and the FCO travel advice and ensure that you keep the University updated if you can’t return to the UK to study.

If you have any queries relating to your visa, or your return to the UK, then please contact our International Student Support Team. You can call on +44 (0) 115 848 2631 or email:

Your Visa

My visa is expiring soon but I’m unable to return home due to travel restrictions.

The Home Office has published guidance on immigration provisions for individuals affected by travel restrictions associated with coronavirus (COVID-19).

If you have any queries relating to your visa, please contact our International Student Support Team on +44 (0) 115 848 2631 or via email:

I need to apply for an ATAS certificate in order to extend my visa in the UK. Are applications currently being accepted?

Information on the ATAS scheme, including up-to-date information on the application process can be found at

I have a question about my Visa, who can I talk to?

Please contact the International Student Support Team for any immigration queries you may have on +44 (0) 115 848 2631 or via email:

As a Tier 4 student, am I allowed to work full-time now my course has moved to being delivered online?

No. During term-time, you must adhere to the working conditions detailed on your visa.  Further information on working in the UK can be found on our International Students advice page.

Your finance

I am worried about my finances. Who can I talk to?

If you have concerns about your finances, our Student Financial Support team is here to help. The team is able to offer advice and guidance on financial hardship, budgeting, and money management. You can also arrange for 1:1 telephone appointments with our International Student Support Co-ordinators if you require more in-depth support.

Telephone: +44 (0) 115 848 2631


Biometric Residence Permits

My BRP is due to be delivered to NTU.  Are you still accepting deliveries?

No.  We have temporarily suspended delivery of Biometric Residence Permits (BRPs) to NTU.

If you are making an application for leave to enter, please do not use the University’s ACL code.  You should select the Post Office option, when choosing where your BRP should be delivered to.

If you are making an in-country application (from within the UK), please arrange for your BRP to be delivered to your home address.

If you have already used NTU’s ACL code but have yet to receive a decision on your application, you should contact the ‘change of address team’ via to arrange for the delivery address to be amended. If you have received a decision but your BRP has been returned as undeliverable, you can contact the Home Office to organise re-delivery via

If you have any questions relating to your BRP, you can email the International Student Support team at

Further information in 21 different languages

Here’s a link to a google drive where you can access COVID-19 advice and information in multiple languages. Remember that the advice is constantly changing so please check back for updates.

Produced in partnership with the British Red Cross, Migrant Help and Clear Voice languages included are: English, Albanian, Dari, French, Pashto, Portuguese, Bengali, Vietnamese, Kurdish Sorani is available at the moment, but more languages coming soon: Mandarin, Hindi, Urdu, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Malayalam, Turkish, Farsi, Amharic, Tigrinya, Somali.

Still need help?

+44 (0)115 941 8418