Skip to content


The UK has now left the European Union and as result of this, freedom of movement between the EU and the UK has come to an end. You'll find up-to-date information on this page, and advice for applicants and students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland on what to do to secure your status in the UK (if you have already lived in the UK before 31/12/20) or apply for a visa to travel to the UK from 01/01/21.

International student support team
Our international student support team can advise you on the EU settlement scheme and other Brexit issues.

Key facts

The UK has now left the European Union and as result of this, freedom of movement between the EU and the UK has come to an end.

The information below gives NTU applicants and students from the EU/EEA and Switzerland advice about what they need to do to secure their status in the UK post-Brexit based on current arrangements.

Irish citizens do not need to apply for the EU settlement scheme as their rights are protected under the UK-Ireland Common Travel Area arrangements.

From September 2021 EU students need to provide evidence of their immigration status as part of their enrolment. Students who have not taken the necessary steps and are unable to provide suitable evidence of their immigration status will not be able to enrol. This applies to new and continuing students.

European students

Fees and funding

We want to show our support and commitment to European students who would like to join our student community at Nottingham Trent University. We are offering a scholarship to eligible students from EU countries who start their studies with us in September 2021 or January 2022. For more details and to check your eligibility please visit our EU Excellence Scholarship web page.

If you're a European student and you have an offer to study with us you may like to apply for one of our International Scholarships.

If you have a funding query and would like further information, please contact Student Financial Support Service.

Student studying

EU/EEA/Swiss students coming to UK after the end of the transition period 31/12/20

Students who arrive in the UK after the agreed transition period has ended and who do not have settled / pre-settled status will need to apply for a student visa if your course in the UK is six months or more. You can continue to visit the UK for up to six months, without applying for a visa and may participate in a wide range of activities, including short-term study and business-related activities, such as events and conferences.

The table below outlines the main differences between the EU settlement scheme and the student visa:


EU settlement scheme

Student visa

Visitors (stays of up to 6 months)

Application fee



No application

Validity period

5 years

Course duration + 4 months for courses lasting 12 months or more

6 months

Maintenance requirement


£9207 + course fees not covered by loan, saved for at least 28 days before application

Must be able to support yourself during your trip and pay for your return or onward journey

Working hours


20 hours per week during term time

Work prohibited


NHS care can be accessed at no extra cost

Must pay immigration health surcharge : £470 per year

Must take out appropriate travel insurance with health cover before travelling to the UK

If you have further questions about this, please contact the International Student Support Service.

Frequently asked questions on the EU settlement scheme

What is the EU settlement scheme?

The EU settlement scheme is an immigration status which has been created by the UK government to ensure EU/EEA/Swiss nationals who currently live in the UK can retain their rights to live here, study, work and access public services such as healthcare after the transition period 31/12/20.

Do I need to apply? Why? 

Do I need to apply under the EU settlement scheme?

If you are an EU/EEA/Swiss national and you intend to remain in the UK after 31 December 2020, or if you are undecided but want to keep your options open, then you will have to make an application under the EU settlement scheme. Irish nationals are not required to apply. For more information about who needs to apply, visit the website.

Why do I need to do this?

Following the Brexit vote, free movement between the UK and the EU has come to an end and anyone entering the UK from 1 January 2021 is subject to a new visa regime. Applying for the EU settlement scheme will allow you to retain your current rights without having to go through a visa application process which is more restrictive and onerous than the EU Settlement Scheme. EU/EEA/Swiss nationals who fail to secure their status may end up being in the UK illegally so it’s important that you make this application to guarantee you can continue to reside in the UK legally and enjoy your current rights in future.

When should I apply?

The EU settlement scheme has been fully open since 30 March 2019 and people who are eligible are encouraged to submit their application at the earliest opportunity. The final deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.

What status will I get?

If you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years, you will get settled status. This entitles you to stay in the UK indefinitely. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years, you will get pre-settled status. This will be valid for 5 years. Once you have lived in the UK for 5 years, you can apply for settled status.

Is there a minimum residence period in the UK to be eligible?

No, anyone who has evidence showing that they were living in the UK before 31/12/20, which is dated in the last 6 months, can apply for the EU settlement scheme.

How do I apply?

You can apply online on the UK government website.

As part of the application, you will have to prove your identity by scanning your biometric passport or ID card using the ID Document check app (or you can send your ID document by post). You can find information on how to use the ID Document Check app on the website.

Free Movement has published a useful video which will walk you through the application process.

What will I need to apply?

You’ll need proof of:

  • your identity: valid passport or national identity card (you also need to provide a digital photo of your face). When you apply, you can either scan your biometric ID document and upload your photo using the ‘EU Exit: ID Document Check’ app or send your document in the post and upload your photo using the online application (you can take this yourself)
  • your residence in the UK: you can use your National Insurance Number is you have one, or any of the documents in the list of residence evidence
  • you will also be asked to declare convictions that appear in your criminal record in the UK or overseas

Can NTU help me with my application? 

Yes. We offer regular briefings for EU students on the EU settlement scheme.

If you have any questions about the EU settlement scheme or need our support, please email us.

Please check your emails and this web page regularly for the most up-to-date information.

EU/EEA/Swiss students resident in UK before the end of the transition period 31/12/20

If you started living in the UK before 31/12/20, and have evidence of UK residence dated in the last 6 months, you can apply for settled/pre-settled status in the UK under the EU settlement scheme.

The application is free of charge. The scheme enables you to continue to live, study and work in the UK.

You are advised to make your application at the earliest opportunity. The final deadline to apply is 30 June 2021.

UKVI have recently updated their guidance for applicants whose continuous residence in the UK has been affected by Coronavirus. Please contact us if you need further advice about this guidance and whether it may apply to you.

health centre


EU/EEA/Swiss students who have secured their status under the EU settlement scheme can access NHS care in the same way as UK residents.

Students who are applying for a student visa will be required to pay the immigration health surcharge as part of their student visa application, which will give them right to access NHS care during their stay in the UK.

Students coming to the UK for less than 6 months as a visitor should read the UK government guidance about healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU.

Find out more

UKCISA: Council for International Student Affairs has very comprehensive pages for EU /EEA / Swiss nationals and the implications of Brexit.

You can also find out more about EU students in the UK from the British Council website.

Still need help?

International Student Support
+44 (0) 115 848 2631