Skip to content

Student transfer

Learn about NTU's policies for students transferring between providers, including our role as part of the Midlands Credit Compass.

Students walking down street

About student transfers

In accordance with the Higher Education and Research Act 2018, all providers of Higher Education in England are required to publish their policies and procedures on student transfer.

These policies and procedures outline the process for students who either wish to leave the institution or are at risk to their continued study.

Transfer between providers ensures a continuation of a student's studies and the delivery of high-quality education.

Policies and procedures

If you would like to come to NTU from another institution, or apply with advanced standing, please read the information within the Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and credit transfer policy option.

For those coming from one of the Midlands Enterprise Universities (MEU) institutions and wishing to join NTU, or leave NTU to attend one of the MEU, please use the Midlands Credit Compass option to facilitate your transfer.

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and credit transfer

Our Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) and credit transfer policy outlines the process for students wishing to attend NTU with advanced standing beyond the beginning of a course, through an assessment of that student's prior learning, whether certificated or uncertificated.

Recognition of Prior Learning and Credit Transfer — student guidance

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is a process by which your relevant knowledge, skills and experience can be reviewed and, if appropriate, counted towards your NTU degree. You can be recognised as having already achieved certain aspects of your NTU course as a result of previous study or work and be exempt from a module or part of your studies, and this is called “advanced standing”.

This process relates to recognition of prior learning for advanced standing only and does not cover the processes through which prior experiential or certificated learning is considered for admission to the beginning of a course (for example, for many master’s courses, the admission requirements would involve an honours degree, but applicants with non-standard entry qualifications or relevant work experience will be considered on an individual basis).

Prior learning can be from a certificated course you have undertaken. This may include professional development awards, employer training courses or additional University studies. These courses need to be at a Higher Education level, and we can confirm this for you if you are unsure.

Prior learning can also be experiential, and this is particularly relevant if you have worked in a practice-based professional role and have significant work experience which is relevant to your studies.

Prior learning also includes credit-bearing Higher Education courses, and this is covered in detail in the Student Guide to Credit Transfer above.

If you think you have some relevant experience or previous study at Higher Education level, then you should ask for advice from our Admissions Team for Undergraduate courses or the course team for Postgraduate and Professional courses.

Some professional bodies, for whom NTU delivers accredited courses, will not allow RPL or credit transfer. We will make you aware of this when you seek advice.

Experiential learning takes more time to assess and requires the judgement of an experienced academic member of staff. You may be charged an administration fee for your RPL application, and we will advise you of this beforehand.

Having taken advice and decided to apply for RPL, you will need to include information about RPL in your application form. This form is completed through UCAS in Undergraduate courses and the applicant portal for Postgraduate and Professional courses.

If you are already studying at NTU and wish to apply for RPL, you need to contact your course leader who should be able to advise you on the on-course RPL requirements and process.

You should submit evidence to support your claim. Evidence might include certificates from the courses you have completed; a course handbook or syllabus; a portfolio of work; a job role description; or a reference. This evidence should demonstrate how you have developed relevant skills and knowledge through your studies and experience. You should align your evidence to the module content and learning outcomes of one or more modules of the course to which you are applying. Evidence should be relevant, current, thorough and clearly your own work.

The course team will look closely at your evidence and application to see whether you have evidenced that you have achieved the skills and knowledge of some parts of your planned course of study. They may need to contact you to discuss the evidence further.

Usually, RPL is awarded for a minimum of one module, but in some circumstances, part of a module or a single piece of assessment can be credited. We aim to complete the review of your RPL application and communicate our decision within ten working days.

The Course Team or Admissions Team will contact you to confirm whether or not your prior learning can be recognised and what this means for your NTU course. If you are offered a place to study at NTU, and it is agreed that you are exempt from one or more modules this is called “advanced standing” (as indicated above). If you are able to submit an RPL after you begin studying at NTU, your course leader will contact you to confirm whether or not your prior learning can be recognised.

Your course fee may be reduced if you are not required to study one or more modules.  NTU will reduce fees in proportion to the amount of prior learning that is recognised, and we will make this clear in our offer letter to you.

When you begin your studies at NTU, the module(s) that you have been granted an exemption for will not be included on your timetable but will show on your academic record as having been completed with RPL.

To find out more about the process for RPL and to discuss your eligibility, please contact the Admissions and Enquiries team via our online enquiry form.

Midlands Credit Compass

Midlands Credit Compass logo

If you are considering leaving your studies, or wish to transfer to another university, we can help you consider your options.

As part of the Midlands Credit Compass, we will help you to transfer between the following universities: Birmingham City, Coventry, Derby, Lincoln, Nottingham Trent, and Wolverhampton.

For further information, see the Midlands Enterprise Universities website.

The Midlands Credit Compass and Credit Transfer — Student guidance

Credit is a measure of the amount of University level study that you have completed in a given topic.  When you have completed a module or unit of study on your course, it carries a credit value.  Credit can be used as evidence that you have studied a certain amount of a topic when you transfer to another university or course so that you don’t have to repeat the same work.

Credit can usually be used for transfer for five years, though we are always happy to discuss your previous study with you and see whether it would still be relevant.

NTU recognises credits studied at any other UK higher education provider as carrying the same value as NTU credits.  Credit does not depend on the grade you achieved or the granular detail of the content you have studied, and we are working to make it easier for students to transfer. We have set this out in our Quality Handbook (Supplement 15C):

"A student may wish to transfer to a course at another Higher Education Provider for a range of reasons and should be able to do so without arbitrary restrictions which are not proportionate or based on irreconcilable concerns regarding prior course content or academic performance."

NTU has a special arrangement with a selection of other Universities in the Midlands called the ‘Midlands Credit Compass’ which aims to facilitate and ease the transfer from one University to another within this Group.

If looking to attend NTU, you should contact us to find out about beginning one of our courses or transferring to one of our courses.  You should tell us about your previous study in a similar or related subject, and we will work with you to identify what credit you have and whether it can count towards your course with us.

It is worth noting that you can apply to transfer to any other university you are interested in attending. However, you may have to pay fees to UCAS, and it could take longer, unlike the Midlands Credit Compass process, which is significantly quicker. To transfer to a university outside of the Midlands Credit Compass Group, please contact that university directly.

We understand that there are lots of reasons that you may need to transfer to another university, and we have worked together with the other Midlands Credit Compass institutions to provide you with support and a clear process to make this as straightforward as possible. Find out more about Midlands Universities Credit Compass.

Your application is assessed by the course leader for the course that you have applied to. They will need to be assured that the learning you have completed to earn the credit you wish to transfer is similar enough to some of the learning included in the course that you have applied to.  They need to be confident that your previous learning has equipped you to succeed on the new course that you have applied to, and therefore to substitute your existing credit for a part of the course.

It is more likely that you will be able to use your credit towards a similar or related course, though it may be possible to transfer credit even if you want to study something completely new.

The course team may decide to grant you an exemption from one or more of the modules on the course.  If they are not confident that the credit you have relates closely enough to the course you’ve applied to then they may not allow you to be exempted but, whatever the decision, they will explain it to you.

Your credit transfer will be recorded on your transcript when you graduate.  It may be helpful to keep the transcript from your previous study as well so that you have all the detail of your studies.

Changing courses and/or University can have an impact on your loan agreement with Student Finance England.  Our student financial support services team would be happy to help you check, and we advise that you do this before you finally confirm your move.  You can email them at

If you are applying for a new undergraduate course, you will make an application through UCAS.  You will need to provide information about any credit you would like to transfer on your UCAS application form.  If you would like to discuss credit transfer before completing your application form, we will help you to fill out your form with the relevant information.