Building your business in your placement period
If you're keen to establish a business in your placement year, you can work on your business with NTU Enterprise rather than complete a standard placement.
A year in Enterprise: Building your business in your placement period
NTU Enterprise offers an amazing opportunity to establish your business in your placement year, working with our team and external experts to develop and launch your company.
This is a self-funded route, rather than the standard placement route, with the aim of getting your business to an income generating position.
Instead of a regular placement, you will:
- Get the chance to kickstart your business while you're still studying
- Build your business skills with the help of experts
- Get first-hand experience by participating in projects
- Develop work experience that's attractive to employers
- Be based in the new Dryden Enterprise Centre
What type of business ideas will be supported?
This year we are opening six places in each of the following seven categories:
- Social Enterprise (includes Community Interest Companies (CICs), Not-for-Profit and other forms of social enterprise)
- Technology (including engineering, computing and app-based businesses)
- Creative economies
- Professional services
- Food and Agriculture (including horticulture and animal science)
How does the application process work?
The application process will be competitive, and you will be asked to:
- Complete an application form which confirms training programme attendance (details and dates will be in the form)
- Submit a 60-second video (filming on your phone is fine)
We will offer a 48-week placement with an option to sign-off earlier if the course allows 36-week placements.
What do I need to do?
If you want to explore this opportunity, here are some things to consider:
- You'll need to be an undergraduate or postgraduate student at NTU doing a placement year
- You must check if our offer meets the requirements of your placement year (this can be done with your supervisor)
- Unfortunately, the offer isn't available to our international students covered by the Tier 4 visa system
If you meet these conditions and are interested in participating, please visit this page to register your interest and we will be in touch with you regarding the full application process. Please indicate that you are enquiring regarding undertaking a placement year working on your own business.
Please click the link above to view the frequently asked question. You can download the file for your convenience. If you are still unsure about something please do no hesitate to email Phil Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Student Program Placement - Enquiry"