- Professor Amanda Briggs-Goode – Head of Department for Fashion, Textiles, Knitwear
- Dr Tom Fisher- Professor of Art and Design
- Dr Katherine Townsend – Principal Lecturer
- Dr Emma Ferry – Senior Lecturer in Design, Culture and Context
- Dr Joy Buttress – Research Fellow
- Tessa Acti – Research Assistant
Associated PhD Projects
- BUTTRESS, J (2013). The Metaphorical Value of Lace in Contemporary Art: The Transformative Process of a Practice-Led Inquiry (AHRC funded).
‘This inquiry examines lace as a metaphor in contemporary art, comprising a practice- led inquiry based on the lace archive of Nottingham Trent University. Lace is placed in the context of creative art practice to establish an overview and understanding of the multifarious associations used to articulate ideas and concepts.’
Supervisory team: Tom Fisher, Amanda Briggs-Goode, Danica Maier. headimgs
- DONOVAN, N (ongoing). Out of the Archive - On the development of a dialogical art practice initiated by Nottingham’s lace heritage (Vice Chancellors Award with collaborative partner Nottingham Castle).
‘This study explores how author’s skills as an artist might be used to create space, via a series of installation performances in retail environments, for informal narratives of Nottingham’s lace heritage to emerge. A poststructural position supports the aim of this thesis to question and wherever possible, disrupt hierarchies encountered in not only notions of ‘heritage’ and the ‘art-world’ but also in day-to-day interactions with others.’
Supervisory team: Tom Fisher, Amanda Briggs-Goode and Graham Black.
- 2014: Tessa Acti, Lace Bird (2012), Lace Effects, Cite Internationale de la Dentelle et de la Mode de Calais, Calais, France
- 2013: NTU staff and students (textiles, fashion and decorative arts) Evolutions in Lace (2012), Spinexpo, Shanghai, China
- 2013: NTU staff and students (textiles, fashion and decorative arts) Evolutions in Lace (2012), Spinexpo, New York, USA
- 2012: Nicola Donovan, Still (2012), Bloom (2012) and Lacework (2011), Lace Works, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
- 2012: Joy Buttress, Worn (2012), Lace Works, Nottingham Castle, Nottingham
- 2012: Joy Buttress Lacuna (2012) (solo show), Bonington Gallery Nottingham
- 2012: NTU Staff (textiles, fashion and decorative arts) Journeys in Lace-part one (2012), Wallner Gallery Lakeside, Nottingham
- 2012: NTU students and staff (textiles, fashion and decorative arts) Journeys in Lace–part two (2012), Bonington gallery, Nottingham Trent University
- 2011-2013: Joy Buttress, Skin Reveals Skin (2011), Love Lace, Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
- 2011: Joy Buttress, Lace Glove (2011), The Evolution of Stitch, Wallner Gallery, Lakeside, Nottingham
- 2011: Madeleine Burt, Archive (2011)(solo show), Crocus gallery, Nottingham
- 2010: Katherine Townsend, Lace Flow (2010), Closely Held Secrets, Bonington Gallery, Nottingham Trent University
- 2010: Joy Buttress and Wolfgang Buttress, Veil (2010), Inside Outside, SW1 Gallery, London
- 2009: Joy Buttress and Wolfgang Buttress, Veil (2009), Wallner Gallery, Lakeside,
- 2009: Joy Buttress, High Falls: water, lace and the body (2009), Capturing Rhythm and Space, Hong Kong Polytechnic gallery, Hong Kong
- 2009: Katherine Townsend, High Falls: water, lace and the body (2009), Capturing Rhythm and Space, Hong Kong Polytechnic gallery, Hong Kong - 2009: Danica Maier, Midlands and Tooraloorals (2009), GEDOK, Karlsruhe, Germany
Films produced for Journeys in Lace exhibition:
- Briggs-Goode, A & Buttress, J. (2009) A taxonomy of pattern through the analysis of Nottingham lace. In: Association of Fashion and Textile Courses, University of Liverpool, 17-18 November 2009.
- Townsend, K & Buttress, J. (2010) High Falls Water, Lace and the Body (visual Essay). Duck: Journal for Textiles Research and Textile Design, issue 1.
- Fisher, T. (2012) ‘Lace Across Time and Space, and Into the Future’, in Stéphane Curveiller, Florence Hachez-Leroy and Gérard Beauvillain (eds) La Traversée France-Angleterre Du Moyen Âge á Nos Jours, (pp81-88) Artois: Artois Presses Université.
- Donovan, N. (2012) 'Sex, Death & Chocolate – Keys to Access? Opening Discourses of Community Identity at Performances of Nottingham’s Lace Heritage’ at Critical Heritage Studies Conference, Gothenburg University, Sweden.
- Donovan, N. (2013), Sexuality, Deathliness, and Chocolate: Performing Nottingham’s Lace Heritage in the Retailscape In: Crafting Heritage, Gothenburg: Gothenburg University Press (Book chapter due for publication in June 2013)
- Briggs-Goode, A. & Dean, D. (2013) Lace: Here: Now, London: Black Dog Publishing (due for publication October 2013).