At Nottingham Trent University (NTU) 90% of our research was judged to be world-leading, internationally excellent or internationally recognised, according to the results of the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
55% of our research was classed within the top two categories: world-leading and internationally excellent.
The REF 2014 exercise assessed the quality and impact of research in UK higher education institutions.
As well as informing funding allocations, the REF provides accountability for public investment in research, demonstrates its benefits, and provides important reputational yardsticks and benchmarking information about the research performance of UK universities.
In total, we submitted research under 16 units of assessment:
- Allied Health Professions, Dentistry, Nursing and Pharmacy
- Psychology, Psychiatry and Neuroscience
- Computer Science and Informatics
- General Engineering
- Architecture, Built Environment and Planning
- Geography, Environmental Studies and Archaeology
- Business and Management Studies
- Social Work and Policy
- Sport and Exercise Sciences, Leisure and Tourism
- Modern Languages and Linguistics
- English Language and Literature
- Art and Design, History, Theory and Practice
- Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management
Among our submitted research was a number of impact case studies that highlight the real-world impact our research is having, in areas ranging from cancer treatment to food security .
Vice-Chancellor, Professor Edward Peck, said: "This evaluation exercise demonstrates that NTU is a university that truly values ideas through the quality of its research and enriches society in the ways in which it ensures that it impacts upon the lives of us all.
"It is evidence that world-leading research can flourish in universities that are also teaching intensive; indeed, it is crucial that our students experience teaching that is infused with ideas derived from academics producing research at the leading edge of their disciplines."
Our impact case studies
Our research stands apart through its deep connections with and profound responses to the real challenges faced by the communities in our city, country and region, and beyond to a global impact that changes both lives and the world we all share.
Find out more about the effect our research is having people’s lives around the world.
Research at NTU