Agriculture, Veterinary and Food Science
Research in this area is conducted at our Brackenhurst Campus. With its 200 hectares of woodland, wetland, farm and grasslands, it's an outdoor classroom for fieldwork and research.
Research Contact: Professor Gang Pan
Research staff conduct internationally and nationally renowned research, specialising in sustainable agriculture and food security with a focus on teaching modern production methods and management of plant crops, agronomy and post-harvest issues. The research is exciting and diverse, with work conducted in areas of major importance to society, providing significant contributions to scientific knowledge, innovative technologies, and advanced research training.
We specialise in delivering the knowledge and skills needed to implement safe practices in the production of food, as well as understanding microbial food spoilage and toxin production. The research areas include:
- Sustainability of agriculture
- Innovations and attitudes and behaviour relating to agriculture and food
- Vertical framing and urban agriculture
- Horticulture and garden design
- Interactions between feed materials and gastrointestinal physiology in production species
- Animal physiology, and animal nutrition to improve gut health and production
- Livestock behaviour welfare and housing
The following impact case studies are linked to this: