Modern Languages and Linguistics
The French unit is located within the College of Art, Architecture, Design and Humanities and is part of History, Languages and International Studies within the School of Arts and Humanities. Staff specialise in contemporary politics, culture, philosophy, literature and society with extensive synergies between researchers.
The following Impact Case Studies are linked to this UoA:
- Raising the Profile of Film and Media Education for Children and Shaping Public Discourse on Film
- Women and Politics in France
UoA Coordinator : Prof Jean-Pierre Boule
Research is organised under the umbrella of a research centre: ReFrance: Centre for the Study of Contemporary France. By means of individual and collaborative research, ReFrance focuses on:
- the processes of cultural change
- intellectual and political debates
- social trends and tendencies
- struggles and everyday contexts that inform contemporary France.
We have developed a project on ‘The Crisis in France’ and the La France et la Crise website provides a space for continued debate, discussion and collaboration. Our group is strongly informed by multidisciplinarity, seeking new forms of synergy between researchers and disciplines. This can be seen in the political, cultural, sociological and philosophical contributions and responses to the ‘Crisis’ website.
Research Groupings / Clusters
- ReFrance: Centre for the Study of Contemporary France
- La France et la Crise