Dr Ana Souto is a Principal Lecturer in Architecture at the School of Architecture, Design and Built Environment. Ana plays a key role in the development and leadership of the research modules on undergraduate and postgraduate courses in Architecture, and is supporting doctoral candidates with her role as Post Graduate Research Tutor at School level. She supervises a number of PhD and Professional Doctorate students in the areas of Architecture, Identity, Heritage and Memory. Ana's research interest lies in architecture as a cultural manifestation of national identity. In this context she explored the reconstruction of a national identity in post-revolutionary Mexican architecture; the connection between identity and architecture in the pavilions built for the 1929 Iberoamerican Exhibition in Seville; and analysed a number of memorials and museums in Germany in order to look into the different post-war narratives that have emerged in the last few decades. Ana is currently involved in an interdisciplinary project which aims at reflecting on the connections between identity, memory and heritage, sense of belonging and ownership of the built environment, using a participatory methodology.
- February 2004 – June 2007: Spanish Language Teaching Assistant at the Department of Hispanic and Latin American Studies, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom.
- August 2002 – January 2004: Teaching Assistant on History and Art History at the Instituto Tecnológico y de Estudios Superiores de Monterrey, Campus Ciudad de Mexico, Mexico City, Mexico.
Ana's research interest lies in architecture as a cultural manifestation of national identity. In this context she dealt with the search for national identity in post-revolutionary Mexico, and the connection between identity and architecture in the pavilions built for the 1929 Iberoamerican Exhibition in Seville.
Ana is currently involved in an interdisciplinary project which deals with ideas connected with identity, memory and culture, using a participatory methodology. This project aims to show the role of culture (with a special emphasis in art and architecture) in promoting a connection between current issues of our times and the past.
- Evaluator of funding opportunities for the FCT Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia, Portugal.
- Reviewer of submissions for the Review of European Studies, the Journal of Architectural Education, and Res Mobilis.
Full list of publications can be found by clicking on 'go to publications' link above.
Chapters in Books:
- Souto, Ana (2013) 'Architecture and memory: Berlin, a phenomenological approach' in: S. Bandyopadhyay and G. Garma Montiel, eds., The territories of identity: architecture in the age of evolving globalization (Abingdon: Routledge), chapter 7, pp. 77-90.
Articles in Journals
- Souto, Ana (2011) 'Archiving Berlin's Past and Renewing the Rhur Valley'. Austausch, Vol. 1 (2), pp.98-120.
- Souto, Ana (2009) 'América en Sevilla: la materialización del espíritu neoimperial en la Exposición Iberoamericana de 1929', International Journal of Iberian Studies, vol. 22, n. 1, (London: Intellect) pp. 39-67.
- Souto, A., 2010. “Building (for) the nation: functionalist architecture in Mexico City 1930-1950”, Architecture, Design and the Nation: First Theoretical Currents Conference, Nottingham Trent University, 14-15 September 2010. Quek, R. and Deane, D., eds., pp. 95-101.
- Souto, Ana (2008) 'La protección del Patrimonio en México DF. La conservación de la identidad en el siglo XX', Actas del XIII Congreso del Comité Español de Historia del Arte (Palma de Mallorca: Universitat de les Illes Balears. Edicions UIB), pp. 1409-1418.
- Souto, Ana (2005) 'España y su imagen en las Exposiciones Universales (1851-1929)', in Robert Archer, Valdi Astvaldsson, Stephen Boyd & Michael Thompson (eds.) Antes y después del Quijote: en el cincuentenario de la Asociación de Hispanistas de Gran Bretaña e Irlanda (València: Biblioteca Valenciana), pp. 747-756.
- Souto, Ana (2003) 'La búsqueda de una identidad nacional. Arquitectura en Mexico, 1920-1950', Congreso de Investigación y Extensión del Sistema Tecnológico de Monterrey. Dirección de Investigación y Extensión, Campus Monterrey. Tecnológico de Monterrey., pp. 1050-1058.
- Souto, Ana (2000) 'El Centro Gallego de Arte Contemporanea (CGAC) de Alvaro Siza', Actas del XIII Congreso del Comité Español de Historia del Arte (Granada) Volume I, pp. 383-388.
- Architecture and cultural identity
- Architecture and memory