Dr Andrew Knight FRICS FHEA is the Dean of the School of Architecture, Design and the Built Environment. This role includes the strategic leadership of a School of 3,000 students organised into five departments, each led by a Head.
He continues to teach on various courses across the School and has a particular interest in philosophical ideas applied to professional contexts; for example, professional ethics, historic architecture, aesthetics and education.
In terms of research, he has successfully supervised over ten PhD students and is on the Editorial Board of the Innovation in the Built Environment book series, published by the RICS and Wiley-Blackwell. Additionally, he sits on a variety of external committees.
Andrew commenced his career in local government as a trainee surveyor before moving to private practice. In the late 1990s he was appointed as Lecturer, then Senior Lecturer, in Construction Economics at Sheffield Hallam University. He was then employed as Principal Lecturer at Nottingham Trent in 2003, before moving to the role of Head of Department in 2008. After seven years of successful departmental management, overseeing a range of strategic initiatives and changes, he was appointed as Acting Associate Dean in 2015, Deputy Dean (Teaching and Learning) in 2016, Acting Dean in 2017 and Dean of School in 2018.
He holds a PhD from the University of Nottingham. During the decade following his PhD, Andrew continued to broaden his interests in philosophy and went on to study courses in both analytic and continental philosophy with a number of universities. He is actively engaged with professional bodies, particularly in areas relating to the development of professional ethics.
Andrew’s personal interests include music and specifically the piano.
Dr Knight has experience of successfully supervising research degree students to completion. These have included 13 doctoral students in areas covering:
- Property management in Greece
- Value management
- Supply-chain management
- Green labelling
- Logistics management
- Housing supply in Africa
- Property valuation.
- Professional institutions
- Lean project management
- Construction and Property Forum: Local Enterprise Partnership
- Editorial Panel, Research Paper Series, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Editorial Panel, Innovation in the Built Environment Book Series, Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Reviewer for Construction Management and Economics
- Reviewer for Automation in Construction
- Reviewer for Structural Survey
- 2004, 1st place, Annual Innovation Awards, Research Paper Competition, Chartered Institute of Building
- 2003-present, Counsellor for Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors APC
- 2008-present, Scientific Committee COBRA
- External examiner from BSc to PhD Level
Sponsors and collaborators
Over the years Dr Knight has worked with a variety of organisations including RICS, EPSRC, Morgan Ashurst, Mowlem and Woodside.