Douglas Gittens is a Senior Lecturer and Module Leader, contributing to a range of undergraduate and postgraduate modules on BA and MA Interior Architecture and Design.
Douglas has taught on the IAD programmes at NTU since 2015. Prior to this he taught at the University of Lincoln serving as Programme Leader for BA and MA Interior Architecture and Design and tutor on BA Architecture. Before working in HE, he taught design on Pre-Degree Art and Design Foundation courses and worked as a designer in the architecture and design industry.
Douglas is an active researcher in the School of Architecture, Design, and the Built Environment. His research interests encompass the following:
- Architectural representation: contemporary perspective drawing; representation of liminal space and absurd space; documentation of architectural memory and lost space.
- Drawing: drawing and the creative process; drawing as problem solving; drawing as a research tool.
- Spatial Theory: absurd space, marginal space, and liminal space; phenomenology of architecture; creative reuse of existing buildings.
- University of Northampton, BA(Hons) Interior Design, 2010 – 2015
- Coventry University, BA(Hons) and MA Interior Architecture & Design, 2015 - 2020
- AUB – Arts University Bournemouth, BA(Hons) Interior Architecture and Design, 2022 - present
Affiliations and memberships
- Member of Interior Educators (IE)
- Member of the Architectural Humanities Research Association, AHRA
- RIBA Part One and RIBA Part Two
- Gill, L., Gittens, D. and Woodcock, J., 2019. The living room. In: G. Brooker, H. Harriss and K. Walker, eds., Interior futures. Vol.1. Yountville, Calif.: Crucible Press.
- Gittens, D. and Hufford, A., 2017. The freedom of the sketch and the tyranny of the digital image. Charrette, 4 (1), pp. 5-13. ISSN 2054-6718
- Gittens, D., 2014. The design sketchbook: between the virtual and the actual. In: A. Bartram, N. El-Bizri and D. Gittens, eds., Recto verso: redefining the sketchbook. Ashgate studies in architecture. Farnham: Ashgate. ISBN 9781409468660
- Bartram, A., El-Bizri, N. and Gittens, D., 2014. Recto verso: redefining the sketchbook. Ashgate studies in architecture. Farnham: Ashgate. ISBN 9781409468660
- Gittens, Douglas (2014) The design sketchbook: between the virtual and the actual. In: Recto Verso: Redefining the Sketchbook. Ashgate, Farnham, Surrey. ISBN: 9781409468660
- Hufford, Amanda and Gittens, Douglas (2013) The intention of the visually based academic studio: communication or simulation. The International Journal of the Image, 2 (4). pp. 111-120. ISSN: 2154-8560
- Bartram, A. and Gittens, D. (2012) Performing Lost Space, London, Lambert Academic Publishing.
- Angela, B. (Ed), (2007) Talking Margins Symposium, University of Lincoln, Lincoln. (Contributed paper; ‘The Body and the City’).
- The Dorich House Annual Conference 3, (2001) British Suburbia in the Interwar Years: its Architecture and Material Culture, Kingston University, London. (Conference proceedings).
Conferences and public lectures
- Gittens, D., 2020. The Authenticity of Perspective & Representations of the Interior. In: IAD Research Symposium (online event), Nottingham Trent University, Nottingham, U.K., July 2020.
- Gittens, D., 2019. The Authenticity of Perspective & Representations of the Interior. In: DHS 2019: The Cost of Design Conference, Northumbria University, Newcastle, U.K., 5-7 September 2019.
- Gittens, D. Hufford, A. (2015) The freedom of the Sketch and the Tyranny of the Digital Image, AIARG 2015 Conference, University College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland.
- Gittens, D. (2012) Absurd Trajectories: Motorways and Lived Space, Theoretical Currents II conference, University of Lincoln, Lincoln.
- Gittens, D. Hufford, A. (2011) Communication versus Information: The Digital Image in the Academic Studio, The Image Conference, San Sebastian, Spain (virtual presentation).
- Bartram, A. and Gittens, D. (2011) Performing Lost Space, Fixed Conference, University of Plymouth, Plymouth.
- Gittens, D. (2011) The Sketchbook: between the virtual and the actual, Recto Verso: Redefining the Sketchbook conference, University of Lincoln, Lincoln.
- Bartram, A. and Gittens, D. (2010) Lost Gallery Spaces and the Performing Body, Narrative Space Conference, University of Leicester, Leicester.
- Gittens, D. (2009) Deleuze and Guattari, Brayford Lecture Series, University of Lincoln, Lincoln. (Public lecture).
- Gittens, D. Jefferies, J. and Osbourne, T. (2007) The Body and the City, Talking Margins Symposium, Arts Admin, London
- Gittens, D. (2001) The Domestic Bathroom, The Dorich House Annual Conference 3, Kingston University, London.
- The Moment of Privacy has Passed, Usher Gallery, Lincoln 2011.
- Exhibition of sketchbooks. In: Drawn Together, Greestone Gallery, Lincoln, 2008.
Interior architecture, interior design, architectural drawing, spatial theory, creative reuse of existing buildings.
Course(s) I teach on