Course Leader for MSc Real Estate, MSc International Real Estate Investment & Finance and MSc Property Development & Planning.
Keith's teaching is informed by extensive practice experience as a Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (FRICS), working in the industrial, office and residential markets in London and the Midlands. He is a qualified teacher (PGCHE), a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA) and a Member of the Institute of Leadership and Management (MinstLM).
Specialties: Property Asset management, commercial valuation, agency and landlord & tenant law. He also has extensive practice experience in the field of residential survey and valuation.
Keith is a Chartered Surveyor and was previously an Associate Partner to a leading international real estate consultancy and Senior Associate Director to an East Midlands based practice. He has also consulted for several top firms and owned his own practice for several years. His career has included exposure to many areas of the profession, but with specialisation in the industrial, office and residential markets in London and the Midlands. His extensive practice experience brings commercial acumen to his teaching for the benefit of our students.
Keith has previously led both the undergraduate and postgraduate suites of real estate courses and was also the departmental Placement Adviser for several years. He now concentrates solely on course leaderships within our expanded postgraduate suite.
A time-served former member of Governing Council for the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (the body which leads the RICS at a strategic global level and which reports directly to Privy Council) and he was a Trustee of the profession. He was heavily involved in re-writing RICS Bye Laws and attended several Governing Council meetings around the world. He has also served on the RICS Regional Board for several years and is an Assessor for the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence.
Keith leads modules in our Undergraduate and Postgraduate suites relating to asset management, commercial agency and commercial landlord & tenant law. He also leads our annual international postgraduate field trips.
Keith has wide ranging interests in the following aspect of real estate:
- National Planning Policy Framework and Neighbourhood Planning
- UK, European and other international commercial property markets
- UK commercial estate agency
- Property management (including asset management, portfolio management and corporate real estate management)
- Professional ethics, including the rules, regulations and guidelines of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Residential survey and valuation
- Inspection and measurement of commercial property
- Property marketing
- Practical application of Landlord and tenant law
- UK estate agency law
- Commercial service charges
- All aspects of commercial leases and events including termination and renewal, licence for alternation, alienation, rent reviews, dilapidations, remedies for default, etc.
- Business rates
- Green leases & sustainable property management
- Dispute resolution
- All aspects of commercial valuation
- Property Investment
- The industrial warehousing market (building on past specialisation in practice)
- Time-served former member of RICS Governing Council
- Time-served former member of the RICS Regional Board for the East Midlands
- Past Chairman of the RICS Local Association for Nottinghamshire
- Assessor for the RICS Assessment of Professional Competence (APC)
- Time served Parish Councillor (Radcliffe On Trent)
- Former Vice-Chairman of Radcliffe On Trent Parish Council Planning & Environment Committee and a member of the Neighbourhood Plan steering group
- Former member of the Community Advisory Board for the Harlequin 3 Oil Well in Radcliffe-On-Trent
- Former volunteer within the Scouting movement having held various roles including Group Scout Leader and Group Chairman