Senior Lecturer in Product Design
Martin's expertise is in the field of materials and process technology, with particular interest in polymers. He has taught for many years on a range of engineering courses and now concentrates his input to product design. He is currently a year tutor for the combined BSc/BA cohort at level two and is a module leader for three BSc year two modules.
Currently 2nd supervisor for PgD/PhD in Condition based maintenance of gearbox systems using indirect sensory systems to provide expert advice for maintenance.
Would prefer future supervision role to focus on materials related topics.
- materials in design
- teaching materials to undergraduate students
- process technology
- innovative use of materials and manufacturing processes for products.
Information for prospective research students
Martin started his career as a plastics technologist in a large packaging company, where he was responsible for materials testing and development in an injection moulding department (40 machines, size 60 – 620 tonnes). The main materials utilised were polypropylene, polyethylene and polystyrene.
His FE education began in Sept 1978 with an Ordinary Technician’s Certificate in Polymer Technology and culminated in an MSc in Polymer Technology ten years later (by part-time study).
- Member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (MIMMM)
- Member of HE Advisory Group for the Diploma in Manufacturing and Product Design
- Leap Ahead Engineering Sector Group Member.
- Rubber and plastic technology