Roshan's main teaching interests are related to water and environmental topics, which include groundwater and surface hydrology, hydraulics and drainage at undergraduate level. He is also involved in the teaching of the mechanics component of mathematics and information technology.
Roshan was a lecturer / senior lecturer in civil and agricultural engineering at the Open University of Sri Lanka (1985 – 2006) and a senior lecturer in civil engineering at Kingston University in London (2006 – 2008)
Roshan has supervised research students in the areas of catchment hydrology, use of resistivity imaging and self potential applications in exploration for groundwater and optimisation of irrigation networks at MPhil degree level and supervised various projects at Masters and undergraduate level. He will be interested in supervising research students in hydrology, exploration for groundwater, estimation of groundwater recharge, irrigation, drainage and rainwater harvesting.
- Groundwater and Surface Hydrology
- Geographical Information Systems in Hydrology
- Rainwater Harvesting
- Computer Modelling
- Hydraulic / hydrological investigations
- Development of mathematical/computer models in hydraulics/hydrology/environment
- Development of computer tools for education.
- Chartered Water and Environmental Manager - C.WEM, MCIWEM (UK)
- Chartered Environmentalist - CEnv (UK)
- Corporate member of the Institution of Engineers, Sri Lanka - CEng, MIE (SL)
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy - FHEA.
Full list of publications can be found by clicking on 'go to publications' link above.
DE SILVA, R.P., 2010. The effect of using different time steps in a soil water balance model to estimate groundwater recharge in the dry zone of Sri Lanka. Journal of Environmental Hydrology, Vol 18 (22) , pp. 1-12, ISSN 1058-3912
JINADASA, S.U.P. and DE SILVA, R.P., 2009. Resistivity imaging and self-potential applications in ground water investigations in hard crystalline rocks. Journal of the National Science Foundation of Sri Lanka, Vol. 37 (1), pp. 23-32, ISSN 1391-458See all of Roshan De Silva's publications...
- Groundwater and surface water
- Rainwater harvesting
- Geographical information systems in hydrology
- Computer modelling in hydrology
- Hydraulic/ hydrological investigations
- Development of mathematical/ computer models in hydraulics/ hydrology/ environment
- Development of computer tools for education