Dr Zakwan Arab joined Nottingham Trent University's Civil Engineering Section in September 2015. He is the Module Leader of DESN30114: Ground Eng, Water Resources (BSc Finale year) and is responsible for designing, delivering and assessing lectures, seminars and labs, in addition to all administration work as a module leader.
Dr Arab also delivers lectures, seminars and labs for Materials in DESN10041: Engineering Materials (BEng and BSc Year One) and Practical sessions for Year One in Engineering Surveying DESN10043. He is the year tutor for first year students (BEng and BSc) and an external tutor for MSc students at Heriot Watt University.
Dr Arab received a BEng degree in Civil Engineering and construction Management (Aleppo University) and completed a PhD in Construction Management in 2011 (Heriot Watt University). His research is focused on building a function based cost model for early cost estimation for new-build school projects.
Dr Arab has worked as a higher education course manager at Northampton University / Moulton College. He was also the module leader for Structural Analysis, Infrastructure Development, Civil Engineering Construction, Project Management, Construction Economics, Mathematics and applied science modules. He was also responsible of delivering CIOB professional courses.
Dr Arab has previously conducted research into Cost Estimation and Modelling for different types of Construction and Civil Engineering projects. His research interests lie in the general area of cost estimation and control for new-build construction projects. Dr Arab’s main research areas are :
- Cost estimation methods and means for new-build constructions projects.
- Achieving client satisfaction by articulating their needs and requirements in their projects using qualitative and quantitative methods.
- Exploring the different techniques employed at the briefing stage of a project life-cycle such as value management and quality function deployment.
- Linking the previous technique with the cost estimation methods which estimate the project cost that express the various needs and requirements sought by the clients.
- Using SPSS for statistical modelling.