Dr Downes is the MA course leader for:
- MA Interaction Design
- MA Puppetry and Digital Animation
- MA Design for Film, Television and Events
- MA Film Practice.
Current research includes X-Ray security scanning and image processing. Other research interests associated with art practice include digital ‘stained’ glass, group interactive environments and ubiquitous computing.
Working with Broadway Cinema on delivery of MA Film Practice.
Sponsors and collaborators
June 2005 – Sept. 2006 EPSRC funded feasibility study: "Dynamic 3D imaging for X-ray security screening: crime feasibility study".
- Vassiliades V., Evans P., Kaufman L., Chan J. W., and Downes D., "Preliminary Evaluation of Kinetic Depth X ray Imagery for Aviation Security Screening", Cognitive Technology, Vol. 13, Issue 1, pp. 18-25, 2008.
- Evans J. P. O., Liu Y., Chan J. W. and Downes D., "View Synthesis for Depth from Motion 3D X-ray Imaging", Pattern Recognition Letters, Vol. 27, Issue 15, pp. 1863-1873, ISSN 0167-8655, November 2006.
- Abusaeeda, O., Evans, J., Downes, D. "Color view synthesis for animated depth security X-ray imaging". 32th International Conference on Computer Vision, Image and Signal Processing (ICCVISP 2012), ISBN 2010-3778, pp. 1024-1029, Paris, France, 25th 26th April 2012.
- Abusaeeda, O., Evans, J., Downes, D., & Chan, J., “Animated depth employing image synthesis for 3D security X-ray imaging”. Signal Processing and Information Technology (ISSPIT 2011), 11th IEEE International Symposium on, pp. 161-166. Bilbao, Spain, 14th 17th December 2011.
- Abusaeeda, O., Evans, J., Downes, D., & Chan, J., "View synthesis of KDEX imagery for 3D security X-ray imaging". IET, Imaging for Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2011), 4th International Conference on, pp. 1-6. London, UK, 3rd 4th November 2011.
- Chan, J., Omar, A., Evans, J., Downes, D., Wang, X., & Liu, Y., "Feasibility of SIFT to synthesise KDEX imagery for aviation luggage security screening". IET, Imaging for Crime Detection and Prevention (ICDP 2009), 3rd International Conference on, pp. 1-6. London, UK, 3rd December 2009.
- Vassiliades V., Evans J. P. O., Kaufman L., Chan J. W. and Downes D., "A Human centred approach for Improving Airport Security", The Ergonomics Society Annual Conference, April 2008.
- Evans J. P. O., Kaufman L., Vassiliades, V., Chan J. W. and Downes D., "Human Factors Evaluation of Kinetic Depth X-ray Imagery for Aviation Security Screening", The Ergonomics Society Annual Conference, Nottingham, April 2007.
- Interactive Installation (collaboration with Roma Patel): An interactive piece for the ‘Collaborators’ exhibition, national exhibition of Theatre design organised by The Society of British Theatre design, Waverley Building, Nottingham (2007) and V&A London (2007-2008).