Professor Jake Kaner joined NTU in 2017 as Associate Dean for Research in the School of Art and Design. He is responsible for all research activities in the school and works closely with academic staff, research posts and project partners to develop quality research outputs and attract external research funding.
- Head of Research, Design Media and Management, Buckinghamshire new University (2015-2017)
- Chair of Creative and Cultural Industries Research Centre (2016-17)
- Co-chair of Art, Design and Media Research Centre (2014-16)
- Head of Furniture Research Centre (2001-2014)
- Professor of Furniture (2001-2017)
- Course Leader, MA Furniture Conservation (2000-2003)
- Course leader, BA (Hons) Furniture Conservation (1993-2001)
- Education: PhD, Brunel University, MA Art History, Leeds Polytechnic, BA (Hons) Fine Art, Manchester Polytechnic
Professor Kaner has supervised PhDs on the following topics,
- Wearable technology for older persons in the domestic habitat
- Sustainable approach to contemporary furniture
- Practice of concealment in furniture
- The Swedish circle of Emigres in London (1768-1780)
- The decline of the furniture industry
- Pyrography in Furniture
- Ambrose Heal
- Spinal injury pressure relief furniture
- Intangible heritage conservation
- Pre-historic Greek furniture Curved plywood furniture
Professor Kaner’s research interests cover Art and Design materials, post-industrial digital archives, heritage and conservation, design for ageing and well-being.
He has been awarded funding from the AHRC, Erasmus +KA2/3, EU URBACT and the Furniture History Society.
Professor Kaner's current research areas are:
- smart habitat for the elderly
- intelligent furniture and sensory materials
- global furniture heritage
- art and design conservation.
- REF21 panel member D32: Art and Design: History, Practice and Theory (2018-21)
- Fellow of the Leadership Foundation (2019-)
- Vice chair of the Plastics heritage European Association (2018-)
- UK National representative for COST Action CA16226 (European Cooperation in Science and Technology) Management Committee– Indoor living space improvement: Smart habitat for the older persons (2017-2021) and Working Group, Furniture and Habitat lead.
- Grant funding reviewer for the British Council, UNESCO Prize, FCT, Newton Fund and Arts and Humanities Panel Member (2016-2019).
- AHRC Strategic Reviewer (2015-17)
- AHRC Panel C&D Member (2011-2016)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (2015-)
- REF14 Sub Panel Member UoA34: Art and Design: History, Practice & Theory (2013-14)
- Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufacture and Commerce (2012-)
- Freeman of the City of London, Worshipful Company of Furniture Makers (2009-13)
- Editorial Panel Member, Institute of Conservation, Taylor Francis (2006-)
Professor Kaner is also an experienced External Examiner from BA to PhD level at the Royal College of Art, Birmingham City University, Dublin Institute of Technology, London Metropolitan University and University of Sopron, Hungary.
Sponsors and collaborators
Professor Kaner has hosted international scholars from School of Design, Bandung University (2019), Indonesia and School of Forestry and Design, Nanjing University, China (2013 & 2016) and the Advanced Institute of Science and technology, Japan (2014). He has held collaborations with a number of European Research Organisations and Universities including, CETEM, Spain (2015-17), Design Museum, Munich (2011-13), Axa Arts/Vitra/Cologne University of Applied Sciences, Germany (2004-17), Victoria and Albert Museum Conservation Department, London (2001-13), Furniture Industry Research Association, UK (2009-15) and the British Furniture Manufacturers (2016-17).