Richard works on several live defence projects revolving around the use of new technology or methodologies to support medical device design and configuration of technology as well as education of emergency medical treatments.
2015 – to date: Flexural Composites Research Fellow, Nottingham Trent University.
2011 – 2015: LA School Governor, Nottingham City Council
2009 – 2015: Lecturer/ Senior Technical Advisor, Nottingham Trent University.
2005 – 2009: Senior Technician, Nottingham Trent University, Nottinghamshire.
2003 – 2005: Prototype Engineer, Morphy Richards, South Yorkshire.
1999 – 2003: Visual Effects Model maker- BBC, HSBC, ITV, Lamborghini, RAF ‘SB Modelmakers’, ‘Kane Gadsby Modelmakers’, Nottinghamshire. ‘Cutting Edge Effects’, Elstree Film Studios, London.
Research areas include:
- Bio-medical engineering and prosthetics
- Biomimetic materials
- Synthesising living human tissue
- Wearable technology
- Functional and flexural composites
- Future technology
- Bio-thermal energy scavenging.
- The Royal Society of the Arts Fellow (FRSA)
- The Higher Education Academy Fellow (FHEA)
- Member of the Association for Simulated Practice in Healthcare
- Member of EGE University, Scientific Committee
- Advanced Bio-medical and Prosthetics Researcher and Inventor
- Senior Technical Advisor/Design Fabrication Consultant
- Website Author and Producer
Sponsors and collaborators
- Royal Centre for Defence Medicine
- Cranfield Defence Academy
- Defence Science and Technology Laboratory
- Trauma FX
- Creating realistic models of human organs
- Combining art and science
- 3D printing
- The creation of an artificial / simulated human