Senior Lecturer, Designed Environment
Tom brings his professional and academic background to the fore through his teaching across the spectrum of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the Architecture subject group. He particularly contributes his strength in technology and construction systems integration within the MArch course.
Research into cultural factors in housing conservation and adaptation in Romania. Architectural practice covering residential, leisure and education sectors.
- Office design
- Retail design
- Housing design/construction/marketing
- Construction systems design and application
- Architectural practice, especially with a global dimension
- Cultural identity in the built environment
His research interests include:
- small house design and construction
- the development of English speculative housing
- the relationship between cultural identity, architectural representation and building methods
- Architectural design related
- Construction systems integration and marketing
- Global application of construction systems
- Hughes, T and Burton, M (2004) ‘’, presented at Housing, Growth and Regeneration, European Network of Housing Research (ENHR) International Housing Conference, Cambridge, 2-6 July 2004, pp.16 (and link the underlined text to cms page 57380)
Sponsors and collaborators
- Professor Michael Burton, University of Western Australia.
- Alina Hughes, Nottingham Trent University.
- British Steel.
- Redrow Housing.
- Ayrshire steel framing.