Dr Hsiu-Chih Sheu teaches level 2 and level 3 Mandarin Chinese modules and the Chinese Translation and Interpreting module. She also serves as the ULP (University Language Program) Chinese Subject Co-ordinator.
Dr Sheu was an experienced English teacher in Taiwan for many years before studying at the University of Reading, undertaking an MA degree in children’s literature. She then moved to the University of York to undertake her PhD. As a PhD Student, Dr Sheu worked as a Mandarin Chinese tutor at the University of York. After obtaining her degree, Dr Sheu went back to Taiwan to work as an Assistant Professor in Dayeh University, teaching research methods and teaching methods before coming to NTU in 2008.
Dr Sheu's research area is in children’s literature and language teaching. She is currently looking at how Chinese folktales can be used as an effective tool in teaching Chinese as a foreign language to help students with their language learning and raise their awareness of the cultural connotation in the story.
Dr Sheu is also looking at the intercultural experience that British students have when they spend a year in China and Chinese students experience in the UK.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD in the School of Arts and Humanities exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- EFL children's views on English picture story books. Sheu HC, Asian EFL Journal, 2009, 11 (4)
- The perceived educational values of English picture story books. Sheu HC, ELT Journal, 2009, 62 (1), 47-55
- The challenges of using English picture story books with primary school students in Taiwan. Sheu HC, ETL Journal, 2006, 30 (4S), 39-60
- The use of Chinese folktales in teaching Chinese as a foreign language. Sheu HC, The 9th BCLTS (British Chinese Language Teaching Society) International Symposium on Innovations in Teaching, 2011, Edinburgh, Scotland
- From Chinese folktales to Chinese films: the representation and transformation of teachers in Chinese culture. Sheu HC, International Conference on The Teacher: Image, Icon, Identity, 2008, Glasgow University, Scotland
- How EFL children in Taiwan perceived the educational values and challenges of reading English picture story books. Sheu HC, The 2006 ALAA (Applied Linguistics Association of Australia) Congress, 2006, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia.