Professor of Contemporary French Studies, French UoA Coordinator and with overall responsibility for research in Modern Languages.
Professor Boulé teaches on the following modules:
- Level Two: Film, Novel and Social Transformation
- Level Three: French Language; French and Francophone Cultures
Professor Boulé's research interests include twentieth and twenty-first century French literature and culture. He is particularly interested in theories of masculinities, gender and sexual politics. He has published six monographs on Sartre, Guibert and HIV Literature and edited or co-edited four volumes on Beauvoir, Guibert and Sartre. He has published some twenty-seven articles in journals such as Contemporary French civilization, L’Esprit créateur, Essays in French Literature, French Cultural Studies, French Review, La Règle du Jeu, Revue Critique De Fixxion Française Contemporaine, Roman 20-50, Sartre Studies International, and Simone de Beauvoir Studies, building an expertise on autofiction, notably on Serge Doubrovsky and on Abdellah Taïa on which he has already published two articles.
His next monograph is the first comprehensive study of Taïa’s works, including his cinematic and political writings. Abdellah Taïa: La Mélancolie et le cri is due to be published by Presses Universitaires de Lyon in the ‘Autofictions, etc.’ collection in 2020.
Professor Boulé has supervised a number of students as Director of Studies on a range of subjects including: Hervé Guibert, the Situationnists, Michel Foucault.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist and Professor Boulé would be interested in supervision on Twentieth/Twentieth-First Century French Literature and Culture, with specific reference to Doubrovsky, Guibert, Sartre, Taïa, AIDS Writing, and also approaches using theories of gender and masculinities. Further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques for services to Franco-British relations and French Culture in the United Kingdom
- Founder member and elected secretary of the "UK Society for Sartrean Studies", 1992-1997. Executive Committee member: 1992-1999
- Serving on the editorial board of Sartre Studies International (Journal of the UK and North American Sartre Societies), since its launch on 14 October 1995. Serving as executive editor for seven years (until 2016).
- Also on the editorial board of Contemporary French Civilization; PORTAL; Autofiction
Sponsors and collaborators
Recent research with the collaboration of:
- Dr Arnaud Genon
- Dr Tidd
Research funding has included:
- Research Leave Scheme, Arts and Humanities Research
- The British Academy: three overseas conference grant and a small research grant
Hervé Guibert: L’Ecriture photographique ou le miroir de soi. Boulé JP and Genon A, 2015, Lyon, Presses Universitaires de Lyon (PUL)
L’Image fantôme ou le négatif de la photographie’ Boulé JP and Genon A, Roman, 2015, 20-50 (59), 41-56
Rethinking Sartre with Tête-à-Tête. Boulé JP in (eds) Rosemary Lloyd and Jean Fornasiero, Magnificent Obsessions: Honouring the Lives of Hazel Rowley, 2013, Cambridge Scholars Press
Quelques réflexions sur Sartre et les hommes. Boulé JP, La Règle du jeu, 2013, No. 52
Existentialism And Contemporary Cinema. A Beauvoirian Perspective. Boulé JP and Tidd U, 2012, Berghahn Books
'Jouer à Sartre-Beauvoir': Une Chimère Bisexuelle. Boulé JP, Dalhousie French Studies, 2010, 91, 97-106
Conjugaisons de L'autofiction: Doubrakeret. Boulé JP in (eds) Burgelin C, Grell I and Roche RY, Autofiction(S): Colloque de Cerisy, 2010, 319-340, Lyon, Presses Universitaires de Lyon
Gender Melancholy in Dubrovsky's Autofictions. Boulé JP, L'esprit Créateur, 2009, 49 (3), 64-78See all of Jean-Pierre Boulé's publications...