Professor of Contemporary French Studies, French UoA Coordinator Research leader for the French Research unit (REF 2014), and with overall responsibility for research in the Modern Languages and International Studies Team as chair of the RSDG (Research Strategy Development Group).
Professor Boulé teaches on the following modules:
- Level One: Intro to European Cultural Studies; Introduction to French Culture and Society
- Level Two: Film, Novel and Social Transformation
- Level Three: French Language; Contemporary France: Text, Film and Culture; European Thought, Writing and Society
Professor Boulé's research interests include twentieth and twenty-first century French literature and culture. He is particularly interested in theories of masculinities, gender and sexual politics. He has published on Serge Doubrovsky, Hervé Guibert and Jean-Paul Sartre; AIDS writing in France, and existentialist cinema.
Professor Boulé has just completed a book manuscript with Arnaud Genon: Hervé Guibert : l'écriture photographique ou le miroir de soi and is working on Moroccan born writer and director: Abdellah Taïa.
Professor Boulé has supervised three PhDs as Director of Studies:
- A thesis on Guibert: 'Hervé Guibert: Dialogues, Altérité et Je(ux) de miroirs"; thesis awarded in 2006
- A thesis on the Situationnistes 'The Situationnist International: A Neglected Case of the Spectacularly Political'; Thesis awarded in 2003
- A thesis on Foucault 'The Work of Michel Foucault: Towards Heterogeneity'; thesis awarded in 1993
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist and Professor Boulé would be interested in supervision on Twentieth Century French Literature and Culture, with specific reference to Guibert, Sartre, AIDS Writing, and also approaches using theories of gender and masculinities. Further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Referee for the Journal of the Institute of Romance Studies, Modern Languages Review, Nottingham French Studies and Sartre Studies International
- Chevalier dans l'Ordre des Palmes Académiques for services to Franco-British relations and French Culture in the United Kingdom
- Assessor for Australian research in French for the Australian Research Council (Humanities and Creative Arts 'stock take'), 2003
- Founder member and elected secretary of the "UK Society for Sartrean Studies", 1992-1997. Executive Committee member: 1992-1999
- Serving on the editorial board of Sartre Studies International (Journal of the UK and North American Sartre Societies), since its launch on 14 October 1995
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent research is being undertaken with the collaboration of:
- Professor T Keefe
- Dr McCaffrey
- Professor Pratt
- Dr Tidd
Research funding has included:
- Overseas Conference Grant, British Academy (2005) £200
- Overseas Conference Grant, British Academy (2003), £571
- Research Leave Scheme, Arts and Humanities Research Board (2003) £12,035
- Overseas Conference Grant, British Academy (2001), £406
- Small Personal Research Grant to work on the donated Guibert archives at the I.M.E.C. Paris (Institut mémoires des écrivains contemporains) since its literary director M Albert Dichy asked him to serve as their reference person for the archives, British Academy (1995), £600.
Hervé Guibert: L’Ecriture photographique ou le miroir de soi. Boulé JP and Genon A, 2015, Lyon, Presses Universitaires de Lyon (PUL)
L’Image fantôme ou le négatif de la photographie’ Boulé JP and Genon A, Roman, 2015, 20-50 (59), 41-56
Rethinking Sartre with Tête-à-Tête. Boulé JP in (eds) Rosemary Lloyd and Jean Fornasiero, Magnificent Obsessions: Honouring the Lives of Hazel Rowley, 2013, Cambridge Scholars Press
Quelques réflexions sur Sartre et les hommes. Boulé JP, La Règle du jeu, 2013, No. 52
Existentialism And Contemporary Cinema. A Beauvoirian Perspective. Boulé JP and Tidd U, 2012, Berghahn Books
'Jouer à Sartre-Beauvoir': Une Chimère Bisexuelle. Boulé JP, Dalhousie French Studies, 2010, 91, 97-106
Conjugaisons de L'autofiction: Doubrakeret. Boulé JP in (eds) Burgelin C, Grell I and Roche RY, Autofiction(S): Colloque de Cerisy, 2010, 319-340, Lyon, Presses Universitaires de Lyon
Gender Melancholy in Dubrovsky's Autofictions. Boulé JP, L'esprit Créateur, 2009, 49 (3), 64-78See all of Jean-Pierre Boulé's publications...