Dr Alex Hiller is Director of Postgraduate Taught Programmes at Nottingham Business School, with responsibility for the strategic development and operational management of the portfolio of taught postgraduate programmes (MBA and MScs). This includes responsibility for portfolio and curriculum development and delivery, student experience, student recruitment, market positioning and external/alumni engagement. He is a member of the School Executive Team and the Chair of the Postgraduate Board of Examiners. Alex has a wealth of experience of programme validations as a panel member and Chair, and external examining experience, both nationally and internationally.
Alex has over 15 years’ teaching experience across all levels, with main interests in consumer behaviour, marketing ethics, services marketing, social marketing and research methods. He currently makes substantive contributions to the MBA Responsible and Sustainable Leadership module and Master’s consumer behaviour modules, and the supervision of MSc, MBA and Doctoral students. His research focuses on ethical consumption, pragmatism and valuation, but research interests also include experiential pedagogy and student engagement.
Alex joined the University in 2002 after working as a marketing and management consultant to a range of national and international organisations in both the public and private sectors, with a particular focus on marketing planning and research, service strategy and customer satisfaction research. His earlier career included quality management posts at Hepworth Heating plc and Schlumberger Sema plc, and this was the focus of his early teaching. For the last ten years he has been active in teaching and research in marketing, specifically ethical consumption (and consumer behaviour more generally), marketing ethics, services marketing, social marketing and research methods.
Alex holds a PhD, a Master’s in Research Methods (Business and Management), and a BA (Hons) in Business and Quality Management, alongside the CIM’s Advanced Certificate in Marketing and a Postgraduate Certificate in Higher Education. He is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy, a Member of the Academy of Marketing a Member of the Chartered Management Institute and a Member of the Institute of Directors.
Alex's research interests centre around the role of morality and its contribution to value in consumer behaviour, particularly in the purchase of clothing (the subject of his PhD). Within this he is interested in pragmatist philosophy and its relationship to consumption, and the formation and establishment of habits in consumption. He was a member of the team that conducted research for DEFRA into Public Understanding of Sustainable Clothing, and is currently working on an NTU funded project into impacts on waste reduction and job creation through upcycling clothing practices. He is also interested in student engagement and experiential pedagogy.
Alex has published in the Journal of Business Ethics, Studies in Higher Education, the International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management and Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal.
Alex is interested in supervising students in the following areas:
- Ethical consumption
- Habituation and identity in consumption
- Pragmatism and consumption
- Consumer activism and anti-consumption
- Pedagogy and Higher Education
- Interpretive methodologies, especially hermeneutics and grounded theory.
Please visit the NTU Doctoral School website for information on doctoral research opportunities at NBS.
- 2013-present – Visiting Lecturer at EDHEC Business School, Lille (3 day marketing ethics course)
- 2014 – Foreign Trade University, Ho Chih Minh City (half-day marketing ethics course
- 2017-present: External Examiner, UG marketing modules, University of Birmingham
- 2017-present: External Examiner, PG marketing modules, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England
- 2012-2016: External Examiner, MBA, Birmingham City University
- 2012-2016: External Examiner, MSc Marketing, Leeds Beckett University
- 2007-2008: External Examiner, BA (Hons) Customer Service Management, UiTM, Malaysia
- A range of national and international validations as external panel member and Chair
- Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Chartered Management Institute
- Member of the Institute of Directors
- Reviewer – Journal of Cleaner Production (2017-)
- Reviewer - Journal of Marketing Management; Academy of Marketing (2011-)
- Committee Member - European Conference on Research Methodology (2009-)
- Convenor, 6th International Symposium on Marketing Ethics and CSR (2018)
- Reviewer / Track Chair – European Business Ethics Network / ABIS Conference (2016)
- Track Co-ordinator - Product Lifetimes and the Environment Conference (2015)
Course(s) I teach on