Professor Kent, is a Professor of Fashion Marketing at NTU.
Professor Kent completed a PhD from the University of the Arts London for his research into the locational contexts of fashion retail stores, their built environments and interior design. Previously he undertook a funded MBA, specialising in retail, and holds a BA (Hons.) in Modern History from the University of Oxford where he received two awards. He has worked as a product planner for a footwear company and retail management in the Buying and Merchandising function, in the UK. He is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Marketing, Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, Fellow of the Higher Education Institute, and sits on the Committee for the Marketing Special Interest Group of the British Academy of Management. He is a member of Design Management International and a non-executive Director of Cybercard Ltd.
Professor Kent's research is centred on interdisciplinary approaches to marketing and design, focusing on brand image and identity in retail stores, and more recently the convergence of physical and virtual environments. Professor Kent has a further interest in research methodologies and their application across disciplines. Professor Kent was Principal Investigator on an AHRC-funded research project, 'Metamorphosis of Design Management' examining the relationship between education, research and industry in this field. Professor Kent has initiated a number of academic conferences and symposia including the first Design and Marketing symposium in 2011. Previous projects have included EU funded programmes on business mentoring, skills training and development.
- 2014 - Deputy Chair, Research Committee, International Foundation of Fashion and Textile Institutes
- 2013 Invited presenter and research discussant, School of Textiles, University of Boras Sweden
- 2012 Invited Speaker, Re Carlos V University, Madrid
- 2012 Invited Speaker, Jiao Tong University, Shanghai
- 2010 Invited Speaker, Dublin Institute of Technology
- 2008 Guest lecturer, Mudra Institute of Communications, Ahmedabad, India
- 2013-16 External Examiner, University of Manchester
- 2011-14 External Examiner UCLAN
- 2008-2012 External Examiner Robert Gordon University Aberdeen
- 2013 PhD Examiner University of Manchester
- 2012 PhD Examiner Brunel University
- 2011 PhD Examiner, University of Hasselt, Belgium
Sponsors and collaborators
Professor Kent is currently working with V&A museum, London on a museum stores project
- 2014 'Photo-elicitation: using photographs to read retail interiors through consumers' eyes', with A. Petermans and K.Van Cleempoel, Journal of Business Research, 67, pp2243-2249
- 2013 'The Digital Store as A Luxury Brand Icon', with K. Nobbs, and C. Moore, International Federation of Fashion and Textile Institutions Conference, FIDM, Los Angeles, 3-5 April.
- 2012 'Strategy as Practice in Multi-Channel Fashion Retailing', with A. Thorne, European Group for Organisational Studies (EGOS) Colloquium, Aalto University, Helsinki, 7-10 July.
- 2011 'Visual research: the use of photo-elicitation to understand the retail store environment' 1st International Colloquium on Global Design and Marketing, University of Lincoln, 8-9th December.
- 2010 'Architecture as brand: store design and brand identity' Journal of Product and Brand Management, with A.E. Kirby, Vol.19, No.6, pp.432-439.
- 2010 'The Local Icon: the Role of Significant Buildings in Place Marketing', with A. E. Kirby; Journal of Town and City Management, Vol. 1, No.1. pp. 80-91.
- 2009 'The Role of the Museum Shop in Extending the Visitor Experience', International Journal of Non-Profit and Voluntary Sector Marketing, Vol.15, pp. 67-77.
- 2009 'The Design of the Store Environment and its Implications for Retail Image', International Review of Retail Distribution and Consumer Research, Vol.19, No. 4, pp. 457-468, ISSN 0959-3969.
- 2007 'Creative Space: Design and the Retail Environment', International Journal of Retail and Distribution Management, Vol. 35, Vol.35, No.9, pp.734-745. ISBN 978-1-84663-516-8.