Dr Dongmei Cao is an Associate Professor in Business Transformation and Education Lead at the Centre for Business and Industry Transformation (CBIT), Nottingham Business School. In this role, Dr Cao acts as CBIT education lead, designing, developing, and delivering postgraduate programmes; leading the development of teaching and learning strategies; driving the expansion of CBIT’s Exec education programmes and Venture Builder programmes. Dr Cao leads and contributes to CBIT research development in sustainability, business transformation, innovation and technology applications.
Before joining NTU in July 2022, Dr Cao worked at Coventry University, University of Birmingham, Anglia Ruskin University, and University of Manchester. She has taught various business and management subjects, including Business and Corporate Strategy, Global Strategy and International Business, Decision Making and Risk Management, and Business Analytics.
Dr Cao's primary research interest is in sustainability and strategy domains, incorporating business models, digital transformation, innovation, technology, entrepreneurship, and consumer behaviour. Dr Cao supervises PhD & DBA student projects in these relevant areas of study. Collaborating with international scholars, she has published in leading academic journals in the fields of Strategic Management, Operations Management, Marketing Management, Entrepreneurship, and Consumer Behaviour, including Long Range Planning, Journal of Business Research, Technological Forecasting & Social Change, Production, Planning & Cost, Industrial Marketing Management, IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, and International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research.
Dr Cao is a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA), a Member of the British Academy of Management (BAM) and a Member of the BAM peer review college. She serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing for Higher Education. Dr Cao acts as an external examiner for the University of Huddersfield.
Awards: Faculty Excellence in Research, 2021.
- Wang, W., Cao, D., Ameen, N. (2022). Exploring the reality behind augmented reality applications in retailing: The role of value orientation and use frequency. Information, Technology & People. https://doi.org/10.1108/ITP-04-2021-0293
- Onjewu, A.-K. E., Haddoud, M., Tony-Okeke, U., Cao, D., Nowiński, W. (2022). Dissecting the Effect of Family Business Exposure on Entrepreneurial Implementation Intention. International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behavior & Research. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJEBR-05-2021-0350
- Xiong, A., Xia, S., Wang, Q., Lockyer, J., Cao, D., Westlund, H., & Li, H. (2022). Queen Bees: How is Female Managers’ Happiness Determined?. Frontiers in Psychology, 13, 1-12.
- Luo, X., Cao, D., Tjahjono, B., & Adegobile, A. (2022). Business model innovation themes of emerging market enterprises: Evidence in China. Journal of Business Research, 139,1619-1630.
- Cao, D., Sun, Y., Goh, E., Wang, R., & Kuiavska, K. (2022). Adoption of Smart Voice Assistants Technology among Airbnb Guests: A Revised Self-Efficacy-Based Value Adoption Model (SVAM). International Journal of Hospitality Management,101,103124. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhm.2021.103124
- Mokhtarzadeh, N. G., Mahdiraji, H. A., Jafarpanah, I., & Cao, D. (2022). Examining the Influence of Environmental Turbulence on Firm Innovation Performance in Emerging Markets Using an Environment-Strategy-Performance Framework. International Journal of Innovation Management. https://doi.org/10.1142/S1363919622500281
- Cao, D., Wang, Y., Berkeley, N., & Tjahjono, B. (2022). Configurational conditions and sustained competitive advantage: A fsQCA approach. Long Range Planning, 55(4),102131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lrp.2021.102131
- Cao, D., Gupta, S., Lim, M. K., Dhir, A., Li, Z., & Schiavone, F. (2021). Consumers’ role in addressing plastic pollution. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 169, 105473. Sun, Y., Wang, R., Cao, D., & Lee, R. (2021). Who are social media influencers for luxury fashion consumption of the Chinese Gen Z? Categorisation and empirical examination. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management. https://doi.org/10.1108/JFMM-07-2020-0132
- Zhang, L., Chen, F., Xia, S., Cao, D., Ye, Z., Shen, C., Maas, G., & Li, Y. (2021). Value co-creation and appropriation of platform-based alliances in cooperative advertising. Industrial Marketing Management, 96, 213-225.
- Rezaei, M., Jafari-Sadeghi, V., Cao, D., & Amoozad Mahdiraji, H. (2021). Key indicators of ethical challenges in digital healthcare: Delphi exploration and CFA validation. Technological Forecasting & Social Change. 167,120724.
- Adegbile, A., Sarpong, D., & Cao, D. (2021). Understanding industry-university collaborations in emerging economies: A legitimacy perspective. IEEE Transactions on Engineering Management, 1-13. DOI:10.1109/TEM.2021.3050859.
- Cao, D., Meadows, M., Wong, D., & Xia, S. (2021). Understanding consumers’ social media engagement behaviour: An examination of the moderation effect of social media context. Journal of Business Research,122,835-846.
- Li, H., Wu, Y., Cao, D., & Wang, Y. (2021). Organizational mindfulness towards digital transformation as a prerequisite of information processing capability to achieve market agility. Journal of Business Research, 122, 700-712.
- Tarhini, A., Alalwan, A., & Cao, D. (2020). Integrating emotional attachment, resource sharing, communication and collaboration into UTAUT2 to examine students’ behavioural intention to adopt social media networks in education. International Journal of Technology Enhanced Learning. 13(1), 1-23.
- Yang, X., Cao, D., Chen, J., Xiao, Z., & Daowd, A. (2020). AI and IoT based collaborative business ecosystem: A case in Chinese fish farming industry. International Journal of Technology Management, 82(2),151-171.
- Yang, X., Cao, D., Andrikopoulos, P., Yang, Z., & Bass, T. (2020). Online Social Networks, Media Supervision and Investment Efficiency: An empirical examination of Chinese listed companies. Technological Forecasting & Social Change, 154, 119969.
- Xiong, A., Xia, S., Ye, Z.P., Cao, D., Jing, Y., & Li, H. (2020). Can innovation really bring economic growth? The role of social filter in China. Structural Change and Economic Dynamics,53,50-61.
- Daowd, A., Hasan, R., Eldabi, T., Rafi-ul-Shan, P.M., Cao, D. & Kasemsarn, N. (2020) Factors Affecting eWOM Credibility, Information Adoption, and Purchase Intention on Generation Y: A Case from Thailand. Journal of Enterprise Information Management, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEIM-04-2019-0118
- Liliani, L., Tjahjono, B., & Cao, D. (2020) Advancing bioplastic packaging products through co-innovation: a conceptual framework for supplier-customer collaboration. Journal of Cleaner Production, 252, 119861.
- Xia, S., Xiong, Y., Zhang, M., Cornford, J., Liu, Y., Lim, M.K., Cao, D., & Chen, F. (2020). Reducing the Resource Acquisition Costs for Returnee Entrepreneurs: Role of Chinese National Science Parks, International Journal of Entrepreneurial Behaviour and Research, 26 (7), 1627-1657.
- Cao, D., Tao, H., Wang, Y., Tarhini, A., & Xia, S. (2019). Acceptance of Automation Manufacturing Technology in China: An Examination of Perceived Norm and Organizational Efficacy. Production Planning and Control, 31(8), 660-672.
- Koliousis, I., Cao, D., & Koliousis, P. (2019). European transport industry deregulation: an analytical investigation of the impact on incumbents’ managerial efficiency 1988-2015. Management Research Review, 42(9),1095-1115.
- Yu, M., Cao, D., & Tan, J.Y. (2019). CSR-consumption paradox: Examination of UK apparel companies. Journal of Fashion Marketing and Management: An International Journal, 23(1), 124-137.
- Cao. D., Berkeley, N., & Finlay, D. (2014). Measuring sustained competitive advantage from resource-based view: Survey of Chinese Clothing Industry. Journal of Sustainable Development, 7(2), 89-102.