Rob has over twenty years operational management experience, working at senior and executive board level, for global corporates such as Hanson Pacific Asia (Operations Director) - acquiring significant leadership skills in overseeing (£) multi million and billion profit and loss and merger and acquisitions business growth and restructuring programmes.
He has a particular interest in teaching and developing student skills in foreign investment decision making, strategic management accounting, lean management principles, analysing organisational strategy, value chain management, and venture capital.
Rob uses practical corporate management expertise, personal owner manager experiences and NBS engaged global consultancy / commercial teaching programmes (ECCO, BP, PWC, PAYNE, etc) to develop case studies and research for academic learning.
- NBS Sustainability Action Group
- NBS Accounts and Finance Research Forum
- Appointed Board Director, Derby Sandiacre Canal Trust
- Fellow of Chartered Management Institute
- Member Institute Civil Engineers
- Member Institute of Quarrying
- Fellow of The Higher Education Academy
Sponsors and collaborators
- HEA Research Grant (2012-13); The use of lean management principles in improving student coursework performance.
- Engaged in Professional Doctorate research; Exploring sustainable funding and finance strategies for the green entrepreneur.
- HEA research teaching grant: £8k adopting lean principles in student coursework preparation.
- Derby and Derbyshire Economic Partnership: £150,000 enabling grant for securing outline planning permission for canal reinstatement.
- Ingenuity Grants (Totalling £10K): RFI Ingredients (Business Plan) , and Derby Sandiacre Canal Trust (Funding Strategy)
- GreenGains Projects for developing sustainable enterprises and communities.
Published papers and awards
Hartley RM and Howarth C (2001) ‘Financial Issues of a multi business in rapid growth’ - A case study of a multi business operating in the utilities, construction, building and waste management sectors, Published and presented at Durham University International Conference, ‘Missing Middle,’ and Aston University ‘Management Accounting’ Milan Business Conference
Hartley RM, Howarth C, Grenhalgh R(2003) ‘Development of accounting routines in SMEs,’ presented at European Accounting Association, Prague.
Hartley RM and Bjerkan ‘Use of Rock in coastal and shoreline engineering’ - A paper on processing techniques for producing hydraulic materials for use in coastal and shoreline engineering applications, “Rock Flow Systems”, Published in the Use of Rock for Coastal and Shoreline Engineering Manual CIRIA, Quarry Management Journal and presented at the International Civil Engineering and Quarrying exhibition in Hong Kong 1993.
Hartley RM (1995) ‘Added Value through Innovative Hydraulic Material Structures for Coastal and River defence and reinstatement works ’ - A paper prepared for the Hanson Plc board to create a commercial strategy for exploiting optimum profitability in unbound and bound rock markets.
Hartley RM (1993) ‘A comparative study of explosive practices in surface mining operations’ - A research paper sponsored by The Institute of Civil Engineers and Quarrying for a study tour of the Republic of South Africa.
Lord Hanson achiever of the year award 1996
Leonard Clugston studying scholarship 1992
Queens Jubilee Civil Engineering Award 1993