Dr Sundas Hussain, a Senior Lecturer in Management in the department of Business and Management at Nottingham Business School. Dr Hussain completed a PhD examining entrepreneurship support for socially disadvantaged groups of women in collaboration with a Birmingham-based housing association. Currently in the process of disseminating her research Dr Hussain has presented her research at peer-reviewed conferences such as ISBE, RENT and BAM. Dr Hussain is an Early Career Researcher. Other affiliations include membership of the Gender and Enterprise special interest group, as well as a member of the Entrepreneurship in Minority Groups at ISBE and Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy.
Dr Hussain also possesses management experience from leading a team as a part-time Director at Woodfarm Education Centre, a Scottish Registered Charity. Since 2015, the Centre supported by Dr Hussain has successfully delivered several Climate Challenge Fund projects financed by the Scottish government. The grants secured by Dr Hussain for the centre range from £100,000 to £250,000 for community climate change projects aiming to reduce CO2 emissions and the carbon footprint of the local community.
Prior to joining Nottingham Trent University as a Senior Lecturer, Dr Hussain was a Lecturer in Project Management within the School of Strategy and Leadership at Coventry University. Dr Hussain was a member of the Centre for Business in Society research centre through the Academic Support Programme in Research Excellence. Prior to joining the School of Strategy and Leadership, Dr Hussain was a Lecturer in Enterprise and Entrepreneurship at the International Centre for Transformational Entrepreneurship. Dr Hussain was also a Visiting Lecturer at Birmingham City University within the Business School and Law School, where she completed her PhD.
Research interests include: female and ethnic minority entrepreneurship, intersectionality, inclusive entrepreneurship, entrepreneurial growth, entrepreneurial context, sustainable entrepreneurship, and environmental entrepreneurship.
Willing to supervise PhD students within these areas.
- Hussain S., Onjewu. A., Carey C., and Jafari-Sadeghi V., 2023. Women in Social Housing and the Pursuit of Entrepreneurship. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Small Business.
- Onjewu. A., Hussain S., and Haddoud, M. 2022. The Mediating Role of Resilience in the E-Commerce and Export Behaviour Nexus in a Time of Crisis: Evidence from Italy. Information Systems Frontiers.
- Onjewu. A., Jafari-Sadeghi V., Hussain S., 2022. Revisiting innovation practices in Subsistence Farming: The Net Effects of Land Management, Pesticide, Herbicide and Fungicide Practices on Expected Crop Harvest in Ethiopia. International Journal of Technological Learning, Innovation and Development.
- Onjewu. A., Puntaier, E., and Hussain S., 2021. The Correlates of Energy Management Practices and Domestic Sales Performance in Small Family Food Firms in Turkey. British Food Journal.
- Hussain., S., 2022. Entrepreneurial intentions for internationalisation of women entrepreneurs in emerging markets. In Jafari-Sadeghi V., and Dana L.P., ed. Toward Entrepreneurial Internationalisation in Emerging Markets: Contexts, Behaviours, and Successful Entry. Routledge.
- Hussain., S., Alshibani, S.M. and Daneshvar, A.H.M., 2023. Innovative Decision-making and Ambiguity: Women Entrepreneurs Exploring Internationalisation Opportunities. In Jafari-Sadeghi V., and Mahdiraji H.A., ed. Decision-making in International Entrepreneurship: Unveiling Cognitive Implications towards Entrepreneurial Internationalisation. Emerald: Bingley.
- Hussain S., and Jones S., 2022. Placed at a Disadvantage? Women’s Self-employment in a ‘disadvantaged’ Community Context. Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business 36th Annual Conference, Re-thinking Entrepreneurship after the Crisis, Congress Centre Federico II, Naples. Nominated for International Small Business Journal (ISBJ)’s Best Paper Award challenging the conventional wisdom in Entrepreneurship.
- Hussain S., 2022. Multi-layered Disadvantage: Can Women Social-housing Residents Access Apt Entrepreneurship Support? Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 42nd Annual Conference, New Approaches to Raising Entrepreneurial Opportunity: Reshaping inclusive Enterprise, Policy, and Practice Post-Pandemic, Principal York Hotel, York.
- Hussain S., Jafari-Sadeghi V., and Carey, C., 2022. Entrepreneurship Opportunity: Entrepreneurship Opportunity: Contextual and Intersectional Experiences of Women Social-Housing Residents. Diana International Research Conference, Dublin City University, Dublin.
- Hussain., S., 2022. Entrepreneurial intentions for internationalisation of women entrepreneurs in emerging markets. EURAM Annual Conference, Leading Digital Transformation, ZHAW School of Management and Law, Winterthur.
- Onjewu. A., Hussain S., and Haddoud, M., 2021. The Mediating Role of Resilience in the E-Commerce and Export Behaviour Nexus in a Time of Crisis: Evidence from Italy. The Pandemic Shock and its Consequences for Business and the Economy 2021, online.
- Onjewu. A., Puntaier, E., and Hussain S., 2021. The Correlates of Energy Management Practices and Domestic Sales Performance in Small Family Food Firms in Turkey. Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 41st Annual Conference, Bridging Enterprise, Policy and Practice: Creating Social and Public Value, City Hall, Cardiff.
- Hussain., S. and Carey, C., 2019. Barriers and challenges to entrepreneurship: Stories of female social-housing residents. Research in Entrepreneurship and Small Business 33rd Annual Conference, Embracing uncertainty: entrepreneurship as a key capability for the 21st century, Seminaris Hotel, Berlin.
- Hussain., S. and Carey, C., 2019. Lived experiences of female social-housing residents: Stories examining entrepreneurship support. Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 42nd Annual Conference, Space for Engagement, Crowne Plaza, Newcastle.
- Hussain., S. and Carey, C., 2018. The societal effect: examining gender, religious, cultural and ethnic stereotypes upon female social housing residents in an entrepreneurial context. Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 41st Annual Conference, Research, policy and practice: Collaboration in a disparate world, Crowne Plaza, Birmingham.
- Sadler, J., Hussain., S., 2018. SME effects of a transition environment: examining Brexit within the green tech sector. Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 41st Annual Conference, Research, policy and practice: Collaboration in a disparate world, Crowne Plaza, Birmingham.
- Hussain., S. and Carey, C., 2018. Female social-housing residents and pre-entrepreneurial identity: the first step towards entrepreneurship within local economic development. British Academy of Management 32nd Annual Conference, Driving Productivity in Uncertain Times, Bristol.
- Hussain., S. 2017. Entrepreneurship, the answer to Balsall Heath’s female housing resident community. Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 40th Annual Conference, Borders’, prosperity and entrepreneurial responses, Europa Hotel, Belfast.
- Hussain, S., Carey, C. and Harding, S., 2016. Is Female Entrepreneurship within Entrepreneurship a response to the various Gendered Entrepreneurship sectors? Institute for Small Business and Entrepreneurship 39th Annual Conference, Institutional Voids, Entrepreneurship and Small Business Development, Novotel Tour Eiffel, Paris.