Vangelis Tsiligkiris (also known as Tsiligiris) (FHEA, FCMI) is a Principal Lecturer in Nottingham Business School.
He is the Course Leader for the MSc Finance Suite (Accounting, Finance, Investment Banking) and MSc FinTech and Financial Markets.
Vangelis has 18 years’ experience in leadership roles in higher education, including research, teaching, and departmental line management. Alongside his leadership, research, and teaching experience, he has broad experience in internationalisation of higher education and particularly in transnational education collaborations.
Over a period of 18 years, Vangelis has developed and taught programmes and modules in the wider subjects of Management Accounting, Finance, Business Economics, Entrepreneurial Finance, and, most recently, Financial Technology. Also, he has been involved in online education as Head of Online Programmes for Roehampton University London, and as member of the team that developed the Online MBA course at Nottingham Business School, Nottingham Trent University.
In the past, he has acted as a higher education policy advisor to the Greek Conservative Party. In 2017, he was an advisor to the Ministry of Education of Malta on the internationalisation of higher education policy. He has conducted confidential consultancy research for a 1994 Group university and his findings were used to inform the university internationalisation strategy.
He has studied Financial Technology at the University of Oxford; Economics at the University of East London; Management at the University of Leicester; and holds a PhD in cross-border higher education management by Birmingham City University.
Vangelis is an active researcher and his research activity is concentrated around two areas: a) Transnational education, with focus on international student experience, and international higher education business strategy; and b) teaching and learning in accounting and finance with focus on the impact of new technologies (e.g. Blockchain, AI) on the Accounting profession. He has published his research in 3*ABS journals and presented in international conferences.
Also, he has conducted high-profile consultancy research for prominent organisations such as the British Council, Universities UK, and more recently the Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT).
As researcher and leader in international higher education he has developed an extensive network of contacts. In 2016 he founded the TNE-Hub ( www.tnehub.org ) - a community of researchers and practitioners in Transnational Education which now has more than 300 members from 25 countries.
Vangelis is a visiting Professor at Birmingham City University and an Honorary Lecturer at the Management School of the University of Liverpool.
He is external examiner for Manchester Metropolitan University, and Queen Margaret University.
Membership of national organisations, charitable bodies, expert committees
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (Advance HE) (FHEA)
- Fellow of the Chartered Management Institute (FCMI)
- Certified Business and Management Educator (CBME) – Chartered Association of Business Schools
- Member of the JISC transnational education special interest group
- Academic board member of the assessment committee of the intergovernmental organisation EDU.
- Member of the HEI resonance group for the EU project e-VALUATE.
- Member of the European Banking Authority (EBA) Fintech working group.
- Member of the Experts Advisory Group for the European Union funded research project “Virtual Vocational Education and Training – VIRTUS”
Sponsors and collaborators
- British Council
- Universities UK International (UUKi)
- The Association of Accounting Technicians (AAT)
Vangelis was member of the research team that conducted three volumes of the world-leading reports “The Shape of Global Higher Education” published by the British Council.
- ILIEVA, J., KILLINGLEY, P., TSILIGIRIS, V. and USHER, A., 2019. The shape of global higher education: international comparisons with Europe. London: British Council.
- USHER, A., ILIEVA, J., KILLINGLEY, P. and TSILIGIRIS, V., 2019. The shape of global higher education: the Americas. London: British Council.
- LIEVA, J., KILLINGLEY, P., TSILIGIRIS, V. and PEAK, M., 2017. The shape of global higher education: international mobility of students, research and education provision. Volume 2. London: British Council.
In 2019, Vangelis published a conceptual framework that facilitates the concurrent management of student experience and educational quality in an international higher education context.
- TSILIGIRIS, V. and HILL, C., 2019. A prospective model for aligning educational quality and student experience in international higher education. Studies in Higher Education. ISSN 0307-5079
Vangelis is a regular media commentator and keynote speaker on transnational education (TNE) issues and research.
Some of the media he has contributed to include:
- BBC radio
- The Guardian
- Times Higher Education
- University World News
- EAIE Forum magazine
- Gulf Business
- The PIE News
- ICEF monitor