Dr. Wenjie Peng is research fellow of Product Design and works at the Advanced Design and Manufacturing Engineering Centre (ADMEC), Nottingham Trent University. His research interests include product design, circular economy, ICT / IoT in industry, condition monitoring, Web services, database, wireless/mobile computing, software engineering, finite element analysis, materials.
He participated in several external funded research projects, such as EU H2020 CIRC4Life, EU FP7 myEcoCost, FP7 Marie Curie Agitator-CBM, FP7 cycLED, UK EMDA Sustainable Construction iNET programmes, UK EMDA Stimulation Innovation Success programme (SIS), UK - China sustainable flooring product project.
He is co-guest editor of two special issues in International Journal of Materials and Product Technology and in journal Sustainability respectively, and editorial board member of International Journal of Design Engineering.
He is involved in organising four International Conferences on Advanced Design and Manufacture. He also involved in teaching MSc and BSc in product design and PhD supervision.
Project Manager and senior research fellow of the EU Horizon 2020 project ‘CIRC4Life: Circular economy approach for life cycle of products and services’,2018-2021 (project budget 7,228,773.75 Euros, 17 consortium teams from 8 EU countries (Grant agreement No. 776503).
Supervision of PhD projects as second supervisor:
- PhD project entitled “Enhancing Product Sustainability Underpinned with Information System and Life Cycle Assessment (LCA)”, The candidate degree was awarded PhD in 2018.
- PhD project ‘Sustainable Lighting Product Development Underpinned by Online Data Mining and Life Cycle Assessment’. The candidate degree was awarded PhD in 2022.
Examiner of PhD candidate viva:
- PhD project entitled “Developing the sustainability management system for industrial companies in Libya”. Completed on 21/06/2017.
- PhD project “Holistic Approach for Sustainable Product Development and Service”. Completed on 09/06/2021.
- Teaching the module ‘Computer-aided Engineering and Internet Technology’ of MSc’s Advanced Product Design Engineering
- Supervision of MSc/BSc Major Study Projects as second supervisor
- Supervision of undergraduates of the European Project Semester (EPS) projects
Research involved in the areas of industrial and product design, circular economy, mechanical engineering, condition monitoring, materials, the Internet of things, wireless computing, LED lighting, artificial intelligence, CAD/CAE, and product sustainability monitoring:
- EU H2020 CIRC4Life (2018-2021), “A circular economy approach for lifecycles of products and services”.
- EU FP7 myEcoCost (2012-2015), “A consumer oriented prototype - forming the nucleus of a novel Ecological Accounting System”
- EU FP7 Marie Curie AgitatorCBM (2011-2012), “Condition based maintenance of agitator using advanced condition monitoring and Internet technologies”
- EU FP7 cycLED (2012-2014), “Cycling resources embedded in systems containing Light Emitting Diodes”,
- UK-China sustainable flooring product project (2015-2017), “Development of An Integrated Approach for Sustainable Flooring Products”.
- UK EMDA Sustainable Construction iNET project (2010), ”Development of an Innovative Monitoring System of Sustainable Thermo-Electric-Generations (TEGs)”.
- UK EMDA Sustainable Construction iNET project (2011), ”Development of a Mobile Control System of Solid Desiccant Dehumidifier for Air Conditioning in Low Carbon Emission Buildings”.
- UK EMDA Stimulation Innovation Success project (2007-2008), “Remote Condition Monitoring of Industrial Gearbox for Agitator”.
- EU Regional funded Enabling Innovation project (2016-2017), ”Application of Ultraviolet-based LED (UV-LED) in the Printing Technology”.
- Editorial board member, International Journal of Design Engineering
- Co-guest editor of special issue 'Advanced Design and Manufacture’, International Journal of ‘Materials and Product Technology’ (2015)
- Co-guest editor of special issue ‘Circular Economy Approaches for Lifecycles of Products and Services’, journal ‘Sustainability’ (2021).
- Involvement in organising four International Conferences on Advanced Design and Manufacture (ADM2009, 2010, 2011 and 2013), including developing and managing the ADM conference Websites, organising the review of papers, and editing the special issues of refereed international journals ‘Key Engineering Material’.
Research publications include 11 journal papers with high impact factors and SNIP published in the IJ.B&E (2019), IJ.MPT (2016), IJ.S (2020, 2021, 2022, 2022), and KEM (2010-2014) respectively; 3 chapters in the book published in Springer (2020); and 8 papers published in refereed international conference proceedings.
W. Peng, D. Su. Novel ICT System for Recycling and Eco-Shopping. Sustainability (Impact: 3.889), 2022, 14, 7687. 23 June 2022. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14137687
H. Huang, D. Su, W. Peng. Novel Mobile Application System for Implementation of an Eco-Incentive Scheme. Sustainability (Impact: 3.889), 5th March 2022, 14, 3055. https://doi.org/10.3390/su14053055
W. Peng, D. Su, and S. Wang, ‘Development of an Innovative ICT Infrastructure for an Eco-Cost System with Life Cycle Assessment’, Sustainability (Impact: 3.889), March 2021, 13(6), 3118. https://doi.org/10.3390/su13063118
W. Peng, D. Su, M. Higginson, ‘A novel remote control system for air conditioning in low carbon emission buildings using sensor fusion and mobile communication technologies’, Building and Environment, Volume 148, 15 January 2019, Pages 701-713 (Impact factor: 7.093) https://doi.org/10.1016/j.buildenv.2018.11.025
H. Huang, D. Su, W. Peng, Y. Wu, Development of a mobile application system. Sustainability (impact: 3.889). November 2020, 12(22), 9675. https://doi.org/10.3390/su12229675
W. Peng, Y. Wu, D. Su, Application of Information and Communication Technologies for Eco-Accounting, in Daizhong Su (ed.) book ‘Sustainable Product Development: Tools, Methods and Examples’, Springer. pp 85-126. Open access. May 2020. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-39149-2_6
D. Su, W. Peng, Eco-accounting infrastructure, in Daizhong Su (ed.) book ‘Sustainable Product Development: Tools, Methods and Examples’, Springer. pp 72-84. Open access. May 2020. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-030-39149-2_6
W. Peng, D. Su. Application of LED in Ultraviolet Curing System. Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Automation & Computing, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth, open access, EI index, October 2021
G. Tsimiklis, M. Koutsokeras, W. Peng, S. Björling, S. Schmitter, 'An ICT Platform Facilitating Circular Economy Business Models', International Conference on Technologies & Business Models for Circular Economy. Open access. May 2020, DOI: 10.18690/978-961-286-353-1.3
W. Peng, D. Su, “Internet-based Remote Monitoring System of Thermo-Electric-Generations (TEGs) with Mobile Communication Technology”, International Journal of Materials and Product Technology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd. Vol. 53, No. 2, 2016 (5-Year Impact Factor: 0.693)
D. Su, J.L. Casamayor, W. Peng, Y. Wu, Ren, Z., 2017, ‘Review of regulations, directives and standards related to sustainable product design and manufacture’, in the book ‘Sustainable Product Development: Tools, Methods and Examples’, Springer.
Y. Wu, D. Su, W. Peng, Q. Zhang, ‘Application of Lifecycle Assessment and Finite Element Analysis in the Design of Raised Access Floor Products’, XIV International Conference on Computational Plasticity, Fundamentals and Applications, COMPLAS, 2017.
D. Su, W. Peng, “Internet-based Communication Infrastructure for an Eco-accounting System Using Web-based Services and RFID Technology”, Proceedings of the 2015 ICBTS International Sciences and Technology Research Conference, 15– 18 September 2015, Las Vegas, USA, pp 67-73.
D. Su, W. Peng, “Internet-based Inter-operation Infrastructure for Data Management within an Ecological Accounting System”, International Conference on Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSSE2014), October 18-19, 2014, Hangzhou, China. ISBN 978-1-60595-199-7, DEStech Publications Inc., Open Access, pp. 759-765
W. Peng, D. Su, “Development of an Online Recycling Monitoring System for Customer Electronic Products Using the Internet, NFC and RFID Technologies”, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 572 (2014), pp.90-99
W. Peng, D. Su, “The Development of a Novel Control System of Solid Desiccant Dehumidifier for Air Conditioning in Low Carbon Emission Buildings”, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 486 (2013), pp. 81-86
D. Su, W. Peng, “Application of PDA and Wireless Technology in a Server-Client Structure for Remote Machine Condition Monitoring”, Key Engineering Materials, Vol. 450 (2011), pp. 449-452
D. Su, W. Peng, “Remote Machine Condition Monitoring Using Wireless Web Technology”, Key Engineering Materials, Vols. 419-420 (2010), pp.745-748
W. Peng, D. Su, Amin Al-habaibeh and Martin Higginson, “Experimental Investigation into Vibration Analysis for Gearbox Condition Monitoring”, Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Advanced Design and Manufacture (Volume 2), September 2009, p.p.21-27
D. Su, W. Peng, “Online Gearbox Condition Monitoring Using Wireless Communication”, 13th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science, Guanajuato, México, 19-25 June, 2011, pp.123-131
W. Peng, Y. Xiong, and D. Su, “A Virtual Research Institute and Its Utilization in CAE for Worm Gear Drives and Gear Design Optimisation”, the 8th international Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work in Design Proceedings, 26th-28th May 2007, Xiamen, China
D. Su, W. Peng, “3D Simulation and finite element analysis of an involute cylindrical worm and helical gear drive”, the 11th International Conference on Tools, ICT2004, 15th May 2004, Miscolc, HungarySee all of Wenjie Peng's publications...
- Sustainable product design and manufacturing, including the elaboration of product design specification, conceptual design, detail design, test and protype, and manufacture meeting the eco-constrains and product quality.
- Expertise of Internet and communication technologies within the Internet, remote sensing, wireless computing and mobile communication, and their applications in real-time online tracking of working conditions of machines, such as industrial eco-recycling system, sustainable solar unit, air-condition, and gearbox.
- Software programming with sensing and remote communication technologies, programable signal processing, hardware interface (digital I/O). Knowledge of the traceability technology based on data carriers, such as radio frequency identification (RFID) and barcode, and their applications, such as in end-of-life electronic product recycling.
- Computer-aided design/engineering (CAD/CAE), finite element analysis, and materials, such as composite floor’s strength and deformation, loaded gear tooth contact impact.
- Expertise of LED measurement technology, including the setup of LED measurement environment, luminaire measurement with the use of Integrating Sphere and Goniophotometer, and analysis of luminaire flux intensity and colour temperature.
- Monitoring and control of machine’s working conditions, including set up of the mechanic test rig, application of sensors, collection of working condition data, diagnostic and prognostic of fault signals, and decision making for machines’ condition-based maintenance.