Professor of English Literature, specialising in modernism. You can find Professor Thacker on Twitter.
Professor Thacker previously worked at De Montfort University and the University of Ulster.
Professor Thacker's main area of research is upon all areas of modernism and modernist culture, with a particular emphasis upon institutions of modernism such as magazines and bookshops. He has published many books and articles on modernism, including the monographs, Moving Through Modernity: Space and Geography in Modernism (2003) and The Imagist Poets (2011), and the edited / co-edited volumes, James Joyce's Dubliners (2006) and Geographies of Modernism (2005). He was co-director of the AHRC-funded Modernist Magazines Project which resulted in three volumes of essays for OUP, The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines. He is currently working on three projects: a monograph on Modernism, Space, and the City for Edinburgh University Press; a cultural history of the modern bookshop; and a new series of volumes on global modernist magazines.
Professor Thacker has received research funding from the AHRB, AHRC, and British Academy. Currently he serves on the Executive of the British Association for Modernist Studies (BAMS) and was its first elected Chair.
Professor Thacker has supervised PhD students in many areas of twentieth century literature, including recently completed theses on Virginia Woolf and Modernist Magazines. Opportunities to carry out postgraduate work towards an MPhil/PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines vol.3: Europe. Thacker A, Bru S, Weikop C and Brooker P, 2013, Oxford University Press
- The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines vol.2: North America. Thacker A and Brooker P, 2012, Oxford University Press
- Texts and Editions of Jean Rhys: Another Voyage in the Dark. Thacker A, Women: A Cultural Review, 2012, 23 (4), 510
- The Imagist Poets. Thacker A, British Council / Northcote House, Writers and Their Work Series, 2011
- The Oxford Handbook of Modernisms. Thacker A, Brooker P, Gasiorek A and Longworth D, 2010, Oxford University Press
- The Oxford Critical and Cultural History of Modernist Magazines vol.1 Britain and Ireland, 1880-1955. Thacker A and Brooker P, 2009, Oxford University Press
- Geographies of Modernism: Literature, Cultures, Spaces. Thacker A and Brooker P, 2005, Routledge
- Moving Through Modernity: Space and Geography in Modernism. Thacker A, 2003, Manchester University Press
For full list click 'Go to Andrew Thacker's publications' link above.See all of Andrew Thacker's publications...