Principal Lecturer in Media & Cultural Studies
Joint Honours in Humanities Programme Leader. Ben is currently on the module team for three undergraduate modules: ‘Approaches to Media & Culture’ (Level 1); ‘Theorising and Researching Media & Culture’ (Level 2); and ‘Cultural Policy’ (Level 3). He also contributes to the MA in Media and Globalization.
- Groundwork for an eventual book on the concept of pleasure in media and cultural studies
- An article on cultural policy, creative industries and trade unions.
Ben has supervised PhD theses on British ‘mid-Atlantic’ cinema of the 1970s and 1980s; on the western and existentialism; and on the celebrity voice in animated film. He would be happy to hear from prospective students interested in undertaking research in the broad field of cultural theory, especially in the areas of cultural policy, food, comedy or Bakhtin.
- Communication, Culture and Media
Ben is interested in cultural theory and a range of topics which can be explored through cultural theory: cultural policy, pleasure, film comedy and food. He is also interested in the work of Mikhail Bakhtin.
- Member of editorial advisory board of Scope: An Online Journal of Film Studies
- 2006-present, External examiner for Film and Media Studies at University of Bolton
- 2005-06, External examiner for Critical Theory and Cultural Studies at University of Nottingham
- 2002-06, External examiner for Media Communications at University of Lincoln
- 2003, External examiner for a PhD in the Institute of Film Studies, University of Nottingham