Sarah Davies is a Senior Lecturer in the Nottingham Institute of Education. She teaches on Post Graduate Certificate of Education (PGCE) and School Direct Secondary Initial Teacher Education programmes and is responsible for looking after and promoting good practice to PGCE and School Direct design and technology (D&T) trainee teachers. Sarah is the Course Leader for the Subject Knowledge Enhancement course, in D&T, which is aimed at supporting pre-training teachers with the curriculum in schools. Sarah is also active in developing and supporting D&T provision by providing regular professional development events through subject association network events, for teachers across the East Midlands. Sarah received a Teacher Training Design and Technology Excellence Award in 2017.
Sarah also teaches on the Post Graduate Certificate in Academic Practice and actively promotes good practice around the University. She is a member of the Trent Institute for Learning and Teaching (TILT) Creativity group and regularly contributes to the Annual Conference at NTU.
Sarah was awarded the Vice-Chancellor's Inspirational Teaching Award in 2016.
Sarah taught in local secondary schools for ten years before moving to NTU. She was an Advanced Skills Teacher (AST) for Nottinghamshire local authority, which involved work across a number of schools, supporting new and experienced teachers with professional development and training issues.
Sarah is currently studying for her professional doctorate with the University of Nottingham, the focus of which is pedagogical practices within D&T education. Alongside this she has undertaken research into the use of technology-enhanced learning in schools and HE, including the innovative use of social media to support collaborative learning.
Opportunities to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil/PhD exist in Nottingham Institute of Education and further information may be obtained from the NTU Doctoral School.
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and recent funding has included:
- Kitronik. S Davies, A Hardy and K Truman, European Regional Development Fund through Working With You innovation project (2014), £5,000
- East Midlands Digital Design and Technology (DDT) Support Centre Contract. S Davies, J Tinney and A Cooper, Design and Technology Association (2009 - 2012), £9,000
- Using technology in design and technology. Hardy A and Davies S in (ed) Owen-Jackson, Debates in Design and Technology Education, 2013, Routledge.
- Did the UK Digital Design and Technology (DD&T) Programme lead to innovative curriculum change within secondary schools? Davies S and Rutland M in PATT27 Conference: Technology Education for the Future: A Play on Sustainability, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2-6 December 2013
- Who makes better use of technology for learning in D&T? Schools or university? Cockayne S, Hardy A, Davies S and Tinney J in PATT27 Conference: Technology Education for the Future: A Play on Sustainability, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2-6 December 2013
- Engaging trainee teachers of science and design & technology in cross curricula collaboration - a case study. Barlex D, Davies S and Hardy A in Technology Education Research Conference: Best Practice in Technology, Design and Engineering Education, Brisbane, Australia, 5-8 December 2012
- Using e-portfolios to support trainee design and technology teachers in developing their subject knowledge. Hardy A, Tinney J and Davies S in The PATT 26 Conference: Technology Education in the 21st Century, Stockholm, 26-30 June 2012
- Getting to know you: design and technology education students' transition into higher education learning. Davies S and Hardy A in PATT 25 & CRIPT 8: Perspectives on Learning in Design Technology Education, Goldsmiths, University of London, 1-5 July
- Letting pupils ‘tinker’ is the way to teach electronics. Sarah Davies. Times Education Supplement (TES) Subject Genius Blog, https://www.tes.com/news/blog/letting-pupils-tinker-way-teach-electronics-0
- Teacher education
- Student teacher observation
- Teacher professional development tools
- Design and technology secondary education
- Curriculum development in Design education