Dr Richards lectures in Biology Methodology, Core Science and Education and Professional Studies to the PGCE Secondary Science trainees. She also works with PGCE Science Trainees in schools, as a Subject Specialist Tutor.
Dr Richards also lectures to the Subject Knowledge Enhancement Course trainees (both Chemistry and Physics) on the topics of Contemporary Issues, Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Essential Biology.
She is the Principal Examiner for Geology A-level (OCR), which means she is:
- Responsible for writing examination papers for Advanced level exams and organising a team of markers and supervising those in the marking process to ensure quality control and standards are met
- Responsible for writing practical tasks for Advanced level examinations which are to be held on the OCR Interchange, for assessment use in school
- Involved in working as a team in assessing the quality of examination papers and tasks in the biannual QPEC meetings
- Involved in writing and reviewing the new specification structure and content
- Compiling the online scheme of work for the whole geology specification
- OCR trainer for teaching the new specifications and guidance about the coursework tasks
Dr Richards gained the following qualifications:
- BSc (Hons.) Geology, University of Hull, Class 2.1
- MSc Industrial Mineralogy, University of Leicester
- PhD Palaeontology, University of Leicester
- PGCE (Secondary) Qualification, University of Leicester
She spent several years teaching in two secondary schools (teaching 14–18 year olds) eventually becoming the Director of Science at John Cleveland College in Hinckley, with responsibility for the specialist college status. She joined Nottingham Trent University in 2009 as a Senior Lecturer.
Dr Richards is currently supervising one PhD student on the area of eLearning. Opportunities to carry out postgraduate study towards an MPhil / PhD exist and further information may be obtained from the NTU Graduate School.
- Secondary Science 11 To 16. Richards R, Ireson G, Crowley M and Twidle J, 2010, 3-13, 14-25
- Post 16 Biology Resources (How Science Works) Richards R and Platt CE, 2010, Badger Publishing
- Post 16 Geology Resources (How Science Works) Richards R and Girwidz R, 2010, Badger Publishing