Jane is a qualified solicitor and the Professor of Professional Legal Education at Nottingham Law School, working with colleagues in the Centre for Legal Education, of which she is a co-director. In 2019, she received the NTU Vice Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Academic Practice in recognition of her work.
She supervises and examines LLM, PhD, EdD and D Legal Practice students working on projects in legal and professional education. She is also a Principal Fellow of the Higher Education Academy; was a Visiting Professor at the University of Limoges; and a member of the International Advisory Board of the International Journal of the Legal Profession. She is currently a member of the Education and Membership Committee of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators; the Education and Training Committee of the Nottinghamshire Law Society and the steering group of the Legal Education Research network.
Jane qualified as a solicitor in 1990, working in private practice as a commercial and general litigation lawyer. She has also worked as a teacher of English as a foreign language in Spain. She joined Nottingham Trent University in 1993.
Jane's PhD was on the learning of early career litigation solicitors. Jane has worked on projects for legal and educational regulators and professional bodies in, to date, more than 20 different countries (Antigua and Barbuda, Armenia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Canada, Dominica, England and Wales, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Jamaica, Mauritius, Mongolia, Montserrat, Republic of Ireland, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago). This includes the influential Legal Education and Training Review in 2011-2013, the most comprehensive review of legal education in England and Wales since 1971.
She has presented at conferences in Australia, Hong Kong, Italy and Turkey as well as in the USA and UK.
Her ORCID ID is 0000-0002-9815-8804
Jane's memberships are as follows:
- Advance HE (formerly the Higher Education Academy)
- American Educational Research Association
- Association of Law Teachers
- British Educational Research Association
- Law and Society Association
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Legal Education Research Network
- Society of Legal Scholars
- Society for Advanced Legal Studies
- Society for Research into Higher Education
- Socio-Legal Studies Association
Sponsors and collaborators
- Asia Foundation
- Bar Standards Board
- Canadian Centre for Professional Legal Education
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- CILEx Regulation
- Council for Licensed Conveyancers
- IMPACT Justice, Caribbean Law Institute Centre
- Institute of Advanced Legal Studies (University of London)
- Law Society of Hong Kong
- Northumbria University
- Solicitors Regulation Authority
- Tertiary Education Commission of Mauritius
- University of Limoges
- University of Mauritius
- University of Nottingham
- University of Warwick
- US State Department
- Yerevan State University
Jane has also worked with a number of law firms, reviewing, designing and delivering in-house education programmes for practitioners.
Jane can offer expertise on the education of legal practitioners, particularly post-classroom, and the regulation of legal education as well as on learning in the workplace and reflective learning.