Dr Denoncourt is the module leader for:
- LLM Intellectual Property Law and Innovation
- LLM Sport, Intellectual Property Law and Commerce
- LLM Competition and Intellectual Property Law in the EU
- LLM Data Protection and Privacy Law
- LLB Intellectual Property Law (Distance Learning)
She also lectures on the LLM International Finance Transactions Law module on the subject of intellectual property finance and secured transactions. Since 2019 Jan has been Course Leader for the LLM Legal Practice by Research (DL) and the LLM International Legal Studies by Research (DL).
Jan is a Solicitor (England & Wales), Barrister & Solicitor (Western Australia) and a registered Australian Trade Mark Attorney, non-practising. She clerked for Justice R.D. Nicholson, Supreme Court of Western Australia and articled at Herbert Smith Freehills in Perth. She is a graduate of the Australian Institute of Company Directors (GAICD), University of Sydney.
A career highlight was Jan's role as Lieutenant Legal Officer and Counsel Assisting the Royal Australian Navy's first Public Board of Inquiry convened on 11 May 1998 to investigate the fire onboard HMAS Westralia and its aftermath, the worst Australian naval disaster in 34 years. Jan was Aide-de-Camp to Major General Michael Jeffery AC,CVO, MC, 28th Governor of Western Australia (24th Governor of Australia).
Jan worked with BHP Biliton Iron Ore in the remote Pilbara region and for several years was sole Inhouse Counsel for a publicly listed Western Australia-based mining, drill & blast tech firm with international operations in Hong Kong, South Africa and the USA. Jan was Senior Associate and Head of IP with Minter Ellison, Perth, WA. In 2002, Jan was awarded the British Council Chevening-Landerer Commercial Law Scholarship.
Jan published her research monograph Intellectual Property, Finance and Corporate Governance (2018) Research in Intellectual Property Series, Routledge Taylor Francis. The book illustrates that corporate governance that integrates IP financial and narrative information transparency and disclosure will improve the flow of capital to businesses and support sustainable innovation. Her work is helping to shape contemporary thinking on modernising corporate reporting of intangibles and IP assets, with emerging impact in terms of practice reform. Jan also has expertise in IP commercialisation, entrepreneurship and data protection. She is Editor of the peer-reviewed Nottingham Law Journal Volumes 26 and 27. Her recently published research has evaluated the role of IP in supporting the UN's 2030 Sustainable Development Goals; the treatment of intangibles and IP rights in prudential financial regulation; realising IP value on insolvency; and director's duties and stewardship of corporate IP assets as a foundation for corporate longevity. Jan is currently researching her next book, Legal Perspectives on Brexit and Intellectual Property (1st ed.).
PhD and Professional Doctorate of Legal Practice students
- Mr Prasert Jaruntratanasri (Director of Studies) Awarded PhD 2018
- Mrs Mobeen Shah (Director of Studies) Awarded PhD in 2019
- Mr Mohamed Al Kharusi (Director of Studies) Awarded PhD in 2019
- Mr Martin Szarkiszjan (Director of Studies) Project approval
- Ms Claire Fargeot (Lead Supervisor with Associate Professor Gary Wilson) Document 1 successfully completed
Janice has acted as Independent Assessor, Internal Examiner and External PhD Examiner for the University of Ottawa. Jan welcomes queries from potential research students interested in pursuing PhD studies in interdisciplinary intellectual property law, business, corporate governance, data security, ethics, finance and sustainability.
Jan is an authority and author on IP rights law education and became a Senior Fellow of the UK's Higher Education Academy in 2017.
- Board member of the London-based think tank, Intellectual Property Awareness Network, see www.ipaware.org
- Co-chair of the European Intellectual Property Teachers’ Network (EIPTN) based at Bocconi University, Milan, Italy in 2016-2018. She co-hosted the 10th and 11th editions of the EIPTN’s annual conference held at the University of Lund, Sweden (2016) and the University of Poitiers, France (2018). See www.eiptn.eu
- Member of the UK Intellectual Property Office Research Expert's Advisory Group since 2016.
- External Examiner Queen Mary University of London, Post Graduate Certificate in IP Law.
- External Examiner Middlesex University, LLB Progamme.
- Society of Legal Scholars (member)
- International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property (member)
- British Association of Canadian Studies (member)
- Nottingham Law School Centre for Business and Insolvency Law (Deputy Director)
- Nottingham Law School Centre for Legal Education (member)
- Solicitor, England and Wales (via QLTT, non-practising)
- Barrister and Solicitor, Western Australia (non-practising)
- Herbert Smith Freehills Alumna
- Minter Ellison Alumna
Sponsors and collaborators
Jan has been sponsored by: the UK Intellectual Property Office, European Patent Office, Norwegian Industrial Patent Office, Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA), Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (ITMA), EIPTN, IPAN, Global University Venturing, Kyusu University, University of Trento, University of Buckingham, Centre for Intellectual Property Policy and Management (CIPPM), Fondation Aix-Marseille Université Chair d’Innovation et Brevets, International Society for the History of Intellectual Property (ISHTIP) and NTU Strategic Research Fund. In addition, Janice was involved in designing and delivering a series of workshops during 2014-2016 and is lead author of the Nottingham Creative IP Guide.
(2018) Denoncourt, J. Intellectual Property, Finance and Corporate Governance (1st ed.) Routledge Research in IP Monograph Series (Hardcover 224 pages and e-book) Routledge (Taylor Francis Group) ISBN-10: 1138186252, ISBN-13: 978-1138186255.
Recent Journal articles:
M. Szarkiszjan and J. Denoncourt, ‘Japanese Trade Mark Law and Benrishi: Preparing for Tokyo 2020’(13 September 2019) Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Volume 14, Issue 11, Oxford University Press pp 850–863.
J. Denoncourt, 'Corporate Intellectual Property Assets and UN 2030 Sustainability Goal 9 Innovation' (2019) Vol. 19, Part 2, Journal of Corporate Law Studies.
J. Denoncourt, ‘True and Fair Intellectual Property Information: A Corporate Governance Issue’  Journal of Business Law, Issue 1, pp47-72
J. Denoncourt, Chapter 7 ‘Corporate Intellectual property, Governance and Board Effectiveness Reviews in Large and Premium Listed UK companies' In: D. Gervais (ed.), Fairness, Morality and Ordre Public in Intellectual Property (2020) ATRIP Intellectual Property Series, Edward Elgar Publishing, ISBN 978 183910 436 7
J. Denoncourt, ‘The English Dual Registration System for Takig Security over Patents and the Pathway to Reform’ INSOL Europe Academic Forum Warsaw (2017) Conference Proceedings, (Ed. J Gant)
J. Denoncourt, Chapter 1 ‘IP Debt Finance and SMEs: Revealing the Evolving Conceptual Framework Drawing on Initiatives from Around the World’ in Toshiyuki Kono (Ed.) Security Interests in Intellectual Property: Perspectives in Law, Business and Innovation (2017) Springer Verlang Singapore ISBN-10: 9811054142See all of Janice Denoncourt's publications...
- Intellectual property (IP) rights
- IP and corporate governance
- IP finance
- IP for entrepreneurs and SMEs
- IP commercialisation and portfolio management
- IP awareness and education
- Business law