Dr Denoncourt is a senior lecturer. She is module leader for several modules including:
- Intellectual Property Innovation and Health (LLM)
- Sport, Intellectual Property Law and Commerce (LLM)
- International Publishing Law (MA)
- Intellectual Property Law (LLB Distance Learning)
- Company Law (LLB Distance Learning).
Janice became an academic after a career as a barrister and solicitor in Perth, Western Australia. She has worked as in-house counsel for a publicly listed company and senior associate heading the Intellectual Property department of the commercial law firm Minter Ellison. Janice completed her doctorate in 2015 at the University of Nottingham. She was awarded the Britain-Australia Chevening Landerer Commercial Law Scholarship in 2003 and is a graduate of McGill University in Montreal, Canada.
Janice was awarded a PhD from the University of Nottingham in 2015 for her thesis Patent-backed Debt Finance: Should Company Law Take the Lead to Provide a True and Fair View of SME's Patent Assets? Available on eThesis University of Nottingham.
Her multi-disciplinary areas of expertise include intellectual property law, finance, corporate disclosure, IP law and education, commercialisation, entrepreneurship and business law. Janice supervises LLM and PhD student research in IP law topics. Janice has provided expert comment on news stories relating to intellectual property law matters and on the IP Finance blog. Janice leads the NLS Intellectual Property Research Group.
Current PhD students
- Prasert Jaruntratanasri ( Director of Studies ) PhD student
- Mohamed Al Kharusi ( Director of Studies ) PhD student
- In September 2014 Janice presented The Missing Link? Corporate Narrative Reporting of Intellectual Property Assets at the International Association for the Advancement of Research and Teaching in Intellectual Property (ATRIP) 34th Congress 2015 in Cape Town, South Africa.
- In September 2014 Janice was invited to speak on IP Finance in the EU and Beyond…Does Law Matter? at the 'Intellectual Property and Venture Capital: The Secrets to Building Innovation Ecosystems' Symposium sponsored by Kyushu University held at the University of Tokyo, Japan.
- Nottingham Law Journal Associate Editor
- External Examiner Queen Mary University of London
- External Examiner Middlesex University
- European Intellectual Property Teachers Network (member)
- International Association for the Advancement of Teaching and Research in Intellectual Property (member)
- Academy of Legal Business Studies (ALSB) United States
- Association of Law Teachers (UK)
- Authors' Licensing and Collecting Society Ltd (ALCS)
- British Association of Canadian Studies (BACS)
- Nottingham Law School Centre for Business and Insolvency Law
- Solicitor, England and Wales (via QLTT, non-practising)
- Barrister and Solicitor, Western Australia (non-practising)
Sponsors and collaborators
Janice has been sponsored by the UK Intellectual Property Office, the European Patent Office, the Chartered Institute of Patent Attorneys (CIPA), the Institute of Trade Mark Attorneys (ITMA) and Global University Venturing. In addition, Janice is involved in delivering a series of workshops in 2014 entitled Nottingham Creative IP.
- (2016) Denoncourt, J. True and Fair Intellectual Property Information: A Corporate Governance Issue, Journal of Business Law, Issue 1, pp47-72.
- (2013) Denoncourt, J. Using Film to Enhance Intellectual Property Law Education: the Social Network, European Journal of Law and Technology Vol.4, No.1.
- (2012) Denoncourt, J. Legislation Commentary entitled Impact of the America Invents Act 2011 on the UK: First to File Rules, Nottingham Law Journal, Vol.21 pp133-135.
- (2009) Mann, P. and Denoncourt, J. Copyright Issues on the Protection of Architectural Works and Designs. In Proceedings of the 25th Annual Conference of the Association of Researchers in Construction Management (ARCOM), [Available at: http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/4621/1/Mann-Denoncourt.pdf].
- (2015) Shining a light on China’s Innovation Ecosystem - Innovation and Intellectual Property in China: Strategies, Contexts and Challenges by Shao, K. (Ed.) and Feng, X. (2015) Nottingham Law Journal Vol. 24, pp 167-170.
- (2014) Financing Technological Innovation, Intellectual Property Rights and the Financing of Technological Innovation: Public Policy and the Efficiency of Capital Markets by Frey, C. B. Nottingham Law Journal Vol. 23, pp161-163.
- (2013) Valuation of Patents by Wurzer, J. et al. Nottingham Law Journal, Vol. 21.
- (2012) A roadmap to the archipelago of TRIPS, Interpreting TRIPS by Hiroko Yamane, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice, Vol. 7 No. 9, Oxford University Press, pp 692-693.
- (2011) A Rational Approach to Exciting Developments in Space Law, Nottingham Law Journal, Vol. 20, pp89-92.
- (2011) Invaluable for trade mark owners, in-house, specialist, and non-specialist trade mark lawyers, Journal of Intellectual Property Law and Practice 6(6): Oxford University Press pp 412-414, [available at: http://jiplp.oxfordjournals.org/content/6/6/412.full.pdf+html].
(2008) Secured Transactions in Intellectual Property, Denning Law Journal, Vol. 20, No.1, [available at: http://ubplj.org/index.php/dlj/article/view/336].
- (2005) Denoncourt, J. Chapter 8 Australian Design Law in Sykes, J. (ed) Intellectual Property in Designs - the Modern Law and Practice LexisNexis Butterworths.