Rebecca is the Course Leader for the Dual LLM in insolvency, where students have a unique opportunity to study for a degree in two Universities, NTU and Radboud University, Nijmegen.
Rebecca is also the Director of the Centre for Business and Insolvency Law and has been an active member of the Centre for many years.
Rebecca became an academic after studying for a PhD at the University of Manchester (1995-1997). Her thesis was on avoidable transactions in insolvency law and it was supervised by Professor David Milman. Before joining NTU she was a lecturer and then senior lecturer at the University of Leicester (1997-2007).
Rebecca's main research interests lie in the area of insolvency law and, in particular, international and comparative insolvency law with a focus on the UK, the USA, the EU and China. She has interests in related of company law, notably directors duties and director disqualification.Together with Elspeth Berry, she has recently written a book on insolvent partnerships, an area of law that suffers from a great deal of complexity.
Rebecca is a member of the Insolvency Service’s Stakeholder Group.
Sponsors and collaborators
Past and present research collaborators include:
- District Judge Abbas Mithani
- Professor David Milman, Lancaster University
- Haizheng Zhang, Beijing Foreign Studies University
- Qingxiu Bu, Cardiff University
- Katarzyna Gromek-Broc, University of York
- Benhajj Masoud, Open University of Tanzania
Previous grants include:
- European Commission Framework Programme for Judicial Cooperation in Civil Matters, approximately £4627, in partnership with professors from Foggia University, Valencia University and Klaipeda University
- Society of Legal Scholars, £417, China's Corporate Rescue Laws, A European Perspective
- British Academy Overseas Travel Award, £300, China's Corporate Rescue Laws, A European Perspective
- Marie Curie Fellowship for the Transfer of Knowledge, stipend plus travel and accommodation expenses, Zentrum für Europäsische Rechtpolitik Universität Bremen
- Centro Studi di Diritto Fallimentare e Societario - Cosenza (Italy), travel and expenses, Crisi d’Impresa e Procedure Concorsuali in Italia e in Europa
- Insolvency Lawyers Association, £5000, research into transaction avoidance in insolvency, jointly with Prof D Milman
- University of Manchester Centre for Law and Business, £1000, jointly with Prof D Milman