Dr Apps teaches biomechanics modules to Undergraduate and Postgraduate students. Currently, she is module leader of Experimental Biomechanics (SPOR20042) and contributes on the following modules: the Principle of Biomechanics (SPOR10042), Applied Biomechanics (SPOR30042), Biomechanics of Optimal Performance (SPOR40291) and Sport Science in Action (SPOR40041). Additionally, Dr Apps is the year tutor to first year Sport and Exercise Science students. Dr Apps is part of the Sport Performance research group within the Sport, Health and Performance Enhancement (SHAPE) research group.
Dr Apps obtained a BSc in Anatomy and Human Biology from the University of Liverpool, and then obtained an MSc from Liverpool John Moores University. Dr Apps completed her Ph.D in biomechanics from Liverpool John Moores University, which was partly studied at Li Ning (China) Sports Goods Co. Ltd. Prior to joining NTU Dr Apps was a teaching assistant and research officer at Liverpool John Moores University.
Dr Apps’s research has focused on understanding adaptations to functional footwear that can either enhance training intensity, improve performance or comfort and reduce injury risk. Specific past and present projects include:
- The biomechanical and neuromuscular adaptations to shoe-surface instability
- The role of in-shoe friction in reducing foot movement inside the shoe
- Comparing plantar pressure between treadmill and overground locomotion
- The relationship between biomechanical loading and bone mineral density in football players
Applications for MRes/ MPhil/ PhD study in the areas identified above are encouraged. Further information may be obtained on the NTU Research Degrees website: https://www.ntu.ac.uk/research/research-degrees-at-ntu.
Dr Apps is a member of Footwear Science, The British Association of Sport and Exercise Science (BASES) and the International Society of Biomechanics.
Dr Apps is a member of the self-assessment Athena Swann committee within the Department of Sport Science.
Sponsors and collaborators
- Dr Mark Lake - Liverpool John Moores University
- Dr Thorsten Sterzing - Xtep (China) Co Ltd
- Dr Pedro Rodrigues – New Balance Athletics, Inc
- Mr Gabriel Lozano – University of Zaragoza