Lei Xu is a Senior Lecturer in Electrical Engineering at Department of Engineering in School of Science & Technology.
Deputy leader of Advanced Optics & Photonics Lab
Dr Lei Xu obtained his PhD (2014) in Optics from Nankai University, China. Since then, he has been performing research and engineering activities in different universities: Nankai University, The Australian National University and the University of New South Wales. His research interests are nanophotonics, optoelectronics meta-devices, low carbon technologies (i.e. solar energy harvesting, as well as innovative radiative cooling for energy saving), and bio-photonics (i.e. tissue engineering via light, and wearable optical sensors).
Before joining NTU, Lei has worked as:
- Research Fellow (2018 -2020), University of New South Wales and Australian National University, Australia
- Postdoctoral Fellow (2017- 2018), Research School of Physics, Australian National University, Australia
- Visiting Fellow (2016 - 2017), Research School of Physics, Australian National University, Australia
- Postdoctoral Fellow (2014 - 2016), College of Electronic Information and Optical Engineering, Nankai University, China
- Artificial intelligence for nanophotonics: inverse design of optically resonant nanostructures for meta-optical and opto-electronic devices, in both linear and nonlinear regimes.
- Low-carbon technologies: sub-wavelength meta-optics for energy harvesting applications, such as energy conversion, solar cells, radiative cooling, etc.
- Bio-photonics: functional meta-optics systems for tissue engineering, stimulating functional neural network circuits, and wearable sensors.
- Investigation and development of novel nanoantennas of light: optical antennas are devices that convert freely propagating optical radiation into localized energy. They enable the control and manipulation of optical fields at the nanoscale, and hold promise for enhancing the performance and efficiency of photodetection, light emission and sensing.
Reviewer of journals: ACS Nano, Nano Letters, Light: Science & Applications, ACS Photonics, Laser & Photonics Reviews, Applied Physics Letters, Photonics, etc.
Associate Editor of the journal Nonlinear Optics | Frontiers in Photonics (https://www.frontiersin.org/journals/photonics)
Topic Editor of the special Research Topic: Vector-Field in Nonlinear Meta-Optics (https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/17996/vector-field-in-nonlinear-meta-optics). It is currently open for submissions (Submission Deadlines: 02 April 2021Abstract, 02 July 2021Manuscript).
Topic Editor of the journal Photonics (2304 - 6732)
- L. Huang, L. Xu, A. E Miroshnichenko, ''Deep Learning Enabled Nanophotonics'' in Advances in Deep Learning, 2020, IntechOpen.
- L. Xu, M. Rahmani, D. Powell, D. Neshev, and A. Miroshnichenko, "Nonlinear Metamaterials." Emerging Frontiers in Nonlinear Science. Springer, Cham, 2020. 55-79.
- C. De Angelis, L. Carletti, D. Rocco, A. Locatelli, L. Ghirardini, M. Finazzi, M. Celebrano, L. Xu and A. Miroshnichenko, “Harmonic generation with Mie-resonant nanostructures” Chapter 10 of Nonlinear Meta-Optics, De Angelis, Leo, Neshev-K43694/ 9781138576544, 2020, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Ze Zheng, Andrei Komar, Khosro Zangeneh Kamali, John Noble, Lachlan Whichello, Andrey E. Miroshnichenko, Mohsen Rahmani, Dragomir N. Neshev, Lei Xu, "Planar narrow-band-pass filter based on Si resonant metasurface", arXiv:2012.10667, 2020
- Jeng Yi Lee, Lujun Huang, Lei Xu, Andrey E. Miroshnichenko, Ray-Kuang Lee, "Broadband Control on Scattering Events with Interferometric Coherent Waves", arXiv:2003.00252, 2020
- A. Komar, R. Ahmmed Aoni, L. Xu, M. Rahmani, A. E. Miroshnichenko, and D. N. Neshev, "Edge Detection with Mie-Resonant Dielectric Metasurfaces," ACS Photonics (2021), doi:10.1021/acsphotonics.0c01874.
- Lujun Huang, Lei Xu (co-first author), Mohsen Rahmani, Dragomir Neshev, Andrey E. Miroshnichenko, "Pushing the Limit of High-Q Mode of a Single Dielectric Microcavity ," Adv. Photon. 3(1), 016004 (2021), doi: 10.1117/1.AP.3.1.016004.
- I. Volkovskaya, L. Xu, L. Huang, A. I Smirnov, A. E Miroshnichenko, D. Smirnova, "Multipolar second-harmonic generation from high- quasi-BIC states in nanoresonators", Nanophotonics 2020, 9(12), 3953-3963.
- L. Xu, M. Rahmani, Y. Ma, D. A. Smirnova, K. Zangeneh Kamali, F. Deng, Y. Chiang, L. Huang, H. Zhang, S. Gould, D. N. Neshev, and A. E. Miroshnichenko, "Enhanced Light-Matter Interactions in Dielectric Nanostructures via Machine Learning Approach", Adv. Photon. 2020, 2(2), 026003.
- L. Huang, L. Xu, M. Woolley, A. E Miroshnichenko, "Trends in Quantum Nanophotonics", Adv. Quantum Technol. 2020, 3(4), 1900126.
- F Deng, H Liu, L Xu, S Lan, A. E Miroshnichenko, "Strong exciton-plasmon coupling in WS2 monolayer in hybrid structures with liquid Ga nanoparticles", Laser & Photonics Reviews 2020, 14(4), 1900420.
- L. Xu, G. Saerens, M. Timofeeva, D. Smirnova, I. Volkovskaya, M. Lysevych, R. Camacho-Morales, M. Cai, K. Zangeneh Kamali, L. Huang, F. Karouta, H. Tan, C. Jagadish, A. Miroshnichenko, R. Grange D. Neshev and M. Rahmani, "Forward and Backward Switching of Nonlinear Unidirectional Emission from GaAs Nanoantennas", ACS Nano 2019, 14(2), 1379-1389
- L. Xu, K. Zangeneh Kamali, L. Huang, M. Rahmani, A. Smirnov, R. Camacho-Morales, Y. Ma, G. Zhang, M. Wolley, D. Neshev, and A. Miroshnichenko, “Dynamic nonlinear image tuning through magnetic dipole quasi-BIC ultra-thin resonators,” Adv. Sci. 2019, 6, 1802119.
- L. Xu and M. Rahmani, “Surface that perceives depth: 3D imaging with metasurfaces,” Adv. Photon. 2019, 1(3), 030501.
- J. Sautter, L. Xu (co-first author), A. Miroshnichenko, M. Lysevych, D. Smirnova, I. Volkovskaya, R. Camacho-Marales, K. Kamali, F. Karouta, K. Vora, H. Tan, M. Kauranen, I. Staude, C. Jagadish, D. Neshev, and M. Rahmani, “Tailoring Second-Harmonic Emission from (111)-GaAs Nanoantennas,” Nano Lett. 2019, 19, 3905.
- K. Zangeneh Kamali, L. Xu (co-first author), J. Ward, K. Wang, G. Li, A. E. Miroshnichenko, D. Ne- shev, and M. Rahmani, “Reversible Image Contrast Manipulation with Thermally Tunable Dielectric Metasurfaces,” Small. 2019, DOI: 10.1002/smll.201805142.
- G. Marino, A. S. Solntsev, L. Xu, V. Gili, L. carletti, A. Poddubny, D. Smirnova, H. Chen, G. Zhang, A. V. Zayats, C. Angelis, G. Leo, Y. Kivshar, A. Sukhorukov, and D. N.Neshev, "Spontaneous photon-pair generation from a dielectric nanoantenna," Optica 2019, 6, 1416-1422.
- R. Colom, L. Xu, L. Marini, F. Bedu, I. Ozerov, T. Begou, J. Lumeau, A. E. Miroshnichnko, D. N. Neshev, B. Kuhlmey, S. Palomba and N. Bonod, “Enhanced Four-Wave Mixing in Doubly Resonant Si Nanoresonators,” ACS Photonics. 2019, DOI: acsphotonics.9b00442.
- A. Rifat, M. Rahmani, L. Xu, K. Zangeneh Kamali, A. Komar, J. Yan, D. Neshev, and A. Mirosh- nichenko, “High-Efficiency Visible Light Manipulation Using Dielectric Metasurfaces,” Sci. Rep. 2019, 9(1), 6510.
- A. Haque, M. Morshed, Z. Li, L. Li, L. Xu, L. Fu, A. Miroshnichenko and H. Hattori, “Damage analysis of a perfect broadband absorber by a femtosecond laser,” Sci. Rep. 2019, 9, 1.
- Y. Jiao, L. Xu, B. Han, F. Bo, J. Xu and G. Zhang, “Self-focusing and self-bending of surface plasmons in longitudinally modulated metasurfaces,” Opt. Commun. 2019, 450(1), 136.
- M. Morshed, L. Xu and H. Hattori, “Dual-polarization star-gap nano-antenna,” J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 2019, 36, 2913.
- R. Camacho-Marales, G. Bautista, X. Zhang, L. Xu, L. Turquet, A. Miroshnichenko, H. Tan, A. Lampri- anidis, M. Rahmani, C. Jagadish, D. Neshev, and M. Kauranen, “Resonant harmonic generation in indi- vidual AlGaAs nanoantennas probed by vector beams,” Nanoscale. 2019, DOI: 10.1039/C8NR08034H.
- M. Rahmani, G. Leo, I. Brener, A. Zayats, S. Maier, C. De Angelis, H. Tan, V. Gili, F. Karouta, R. Oulton, K. Vora, M. Lysevych, I. Staude, L. Xu, A. Miroshnichenko, C. Jagadish, and D. Neshev, “Nonlinear frequency conversion in optical nanoantennas and metasurfaces: materials evolution and fabrication,” Opto-Electron. Adv. 2018, 1, 180021.
- L. Xu, M. Rahmani, K. Kamali, A. Lamprianidis, L. Ghirardini, J. Sautter, R. Camacho-Morales, H. Chen, M. Parry, I. Staude, G. Zhang, D. Neshev, A. Miroshnichenko, “Boosting third-harmonic generation by a mirror-enhanced anapole resonator,” Light: Sci. Appl. 2018, 7, 1-8.
- K. Wang, J. G Titchener, S. Kruk, L. Xu, H. Chung, M. Parry, I. Kravchenko, Y. Chen, A. Solntsev, Y. Kivshar, D. Neshev, A. Sukhorukov, “Quantum metasurface for multi-photon interference and state reconstruction,” Science 2018, 361, 6407.
- L. Xu, M. Rahmani, D. Smirnova, K. Zangeneh Kamali, G. Zhang, D. Neshev, A. Miroshnichenko, “Highly-efficient longitudinal second-harmonic generation from doubly-resonant AlGaAs nanoan- tennas,” Photonics 2018, 5, 3.
- A. Rifat, M. Rahmani, L. Xu, A. Miroshnichenko, “Hybrid metasurface based tunable near-perfect absorber and plasmonic sensor,” Materials 2018, 11, 7.
- H. Chen, M. Liu, L. Xu, D. Neshev, “Valley-selective directional emission from a monolayer transition metal dichilcogenide mediated by plasmonic nanoantenna,” Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 2018, 9, 780.
- J. Ward, K. Zangeneh Kamali, L. Xu, G. Zhang, A. Miroshnichenko, M. Rahmani, “High-contrast and reversible scattering switching via hybrid metal-dielectric metasurfaces,” Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 2018, 9, 460.
- E. Melik-Gaykazyan, S. Kruk, R. Camacho-Morales, L. Xu, M. Rahmani, K. Zangeneh Kamali, A. Lamprianidis, A. Miroshnichenko, A. Fedyanin, D. Neshev, Y. Kivshar, “Selective third-harmonic generation by structured light in Mie-resonant nanoparticles,” ACS Photonics 2017, acsphotonics.7b01277.
- H. Zuo, D. Choi, X. Gai, P. Ma, L. Xu, D. N. Neshev, B. Zhang, and B. Luther-Davies, “High-Efficiency All-Dielectric Metalenses for Mid-Infrared Imaging,” Adv. Opt. Mater. 2017, 1700585.
- M. Rahmani, L. Xu (co-first author), A. Miroshnichenko, A. Komar, R. Camacho-Morales, H. Chen, Y. Zárate, S. Kruk, G. Zhang, D. N. Neshev, Y. S. Kivshar, “Reversible Thermal Tuning of All-Dielectric Metasurfaces,” Adv. Funct. Mater. 2017, 1700580.
- S. Kruk, R. Camacho-Morales, L. Xu, M. Rahmani, D.A. Smirnova, L. Wang, H. H. Tan, C. Jagadish, D. N. Neshev, Y. S. Kivshar, "Nonlinear Optical Magnetism revealed by Second-Harmonic Generation in Nanoantennas," Nano Lett. 2017, 17, 3194.
- L. Wang, S. Kruk, L. Xu, M. Rahmani, D. Smirnova, A. Solntsev, I. Kravchenko, D. Neshev, Y. Kivshar, "Shaping the third-harmonic radiation from silicon nanodimers," Nanoscale 2017, 9, 2201.
- D. Neshev, R. Camacho-Morales, M. Rahmani, S. Kruk, L. Wang, L. Xu, D. Smirnova, A. Solntsev, A. Miroshnichenko, et al., “Manipulating second-harmonic light from semiconductor nanocrystals,” SPIE Newsroom 2017, 2–5
- R. Camacho-Morales, M. Rahmani, S. Kruk, L. Wang, L. Xu, D. A. Smirnova, A. S. Solntsev, A. Miroshnichenko, H. H. Tan, F. Karouta, S. Naureen, K. Vora, L. Carletti, C. De Angelis, C. Jagadish, Y. S. Kivshar, D. N. Neshev, Nano Lett. 2016, 16, 7191.
- B. Han, L. Xu, Y. Dou, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Bending light via adiabatic optical transition in longitudinally modulated photonic lattices, Sci. Rep. 2015, 5, 15805.
- L. Xu, Y. Dou, F. Bo, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Two-photon correlation and photon transport in disordered passive parity-time-symmetric lattices, Phys. Rev. A 2015, 91, 23817.
- L. Xu, H. Yang, P. Hong, F. Bo, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Lensless imaging based on coherent backscattering in random media, AIP Adv. 2014, 4, 87124.
- Y. Dou, L. Xu, B. Han, F. Bo, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Quantum correlation of path-entangled two-photon states in waveguide arrays with defects, AIP Adv. 2014, 4, 47117.
- L. Xu, Y. Yin, F. Bo, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Anomalous refraction in disordered one-dimensional photonic lattices, J. Opt. Soc. Am. B 2014, 31, 105.
- P. Hong, L. Xu, Z. Zhai, G. Zhang, High visibility two-photon interference with classical light., Opt. Express 2013, 21, 14056.
- L. Xu, Y. Yin, F. Bo, J. Xu, G. Zhang, Transverse localization of light in the disordered one-dimensional waveguide arrays in the linear and nonlinear regimes, Opt. Commun. 2013, 296, 65.
- L. Xu, G. Zhang, N. Xu, F. Bo, F. Gao, W. Fan, J. Xu, K. P. Lor, K. S. Chiang, Active chromatic control on the group velocity of light at arbitrary wavelength in benzocyclobutene polymer, Opt. Express 2009, 17, 18292.