Senior lecturer in Biomedical Engineering
Module leader of ENGG20071 Industrial Design and Product Case Studies
Coordinator of Open Days in Department of Engineering
- 2005-2010 PhD in Bio-tribology at University of Leeds
- 2010-2013 Postdoc researcher at University of Leeds
- 2013-2018 Junior Research Fellow at Imperial College London
- May 2019 - now Senior Lecturer in Biomedical Engineering at NTU
Dr Gao’s research interest is focused on numerical modelling in tribology and biotribology with application of human joint implants and industrial tribological components.
Please see more information at Engineering Department
Dr Gao's previous research project
- Imperial College Junior Fellowship 2015-18.(£30,000) A complete wear model with predictions of wear particle migrations in the hip and knee replacements.
- European Framework 7. (FP7-NMP-LifeLongJoints, €18M, Named researcher) Lifelong Joints-Silicon Nitride Coating for Improved Implant Function 2013-18.
Visiting schalor at Shanghai University (2016-18)
Fellow of High Education Academy (FHEA) (2018-now)
IMechE Charted Engineer (2019- now)
- Heterogeneous Multiscale Methods for modelling surface topography in Elastohydrodynamic Lubrication line contacts. By the Technical University of Lulea in 2017.
- Elastohydrodynamic lubrication and wear modelling of the knee joint replacements with surface topography. The 9th International Biotribology Forum in Chengdu 2017
- A numerical study of non-Newtonian transient elastohydrodynamic lubrication of metal-on-metal hip prostheses. CMBBE in Lisbon 2018
Co-supervised PhD student projects
- Lee Nissim (2016- now); PhD project ‘Design of next generation knee prostheses’ at Imperial College London, Aeronautics Department.
- Hamza Butt (2016- now); PhD project ‘Wear modelling of knee joint replacements’ at Imperial College London, Aeronautics Department.
Sponsors and collaborators
- Gao L. Computational modelling of biomechanics and Biotribology in the musculoskeletal system – book chapter 16 Lubrication modeling of hip joint implants. Published by Elsevier; 2020.
- Liu D, Jiang J, Wang L, Liu J, Jin Z, Gao L, Hua Y, Cai Z, Hua Z. In vitro experimental and numerical study on biomechanics and stability of a novel adjustable hemipelvic prosthesis. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials* 2018 (90): 626-634.
- Gao L, Hua Z and Hewson RW. Can a “pre-worn” bearing surface geometry reduce the wear of hip replacements? Wear* 2018 (406-407): 13-21.
- Gao L, Hua Z, Hewson RW, Andersen MS, and Jin Z. Wear Modelling of the Knee Joint Replacements with Surface Topography . Biosurface and Biotribology. 2018 (4): 1-6.
- de Boer, GN, Gao L, Hewson, RW, Thompson HM. Heterogeneous multiscale methods for modelling surface topography in EHL line contacts. Tribology International*, 2017 (113): 262-278.
- Gao L, Dowson D and Hewson RW. Predictive Wear modelling of the metal-on-metal hip replacements. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part B Applied Biomaterials, 2017 (105): 497-506.