Nikolaos is an Academic member of Staff (Independent Research Fellow) in Materials embedded within the Physics Team. Teaching duties include Condensed Matter, Research Methodology & Ethics, BSc and MSc research projects.
- 08/2016 – Now: Nottingham Trent University, Independent Research Fellow.
- 08/2015 – 07/2016: Nottingham Trent University, Lecturer in Physics (Fixed term).
- 05/2015 – 07/2015: Nottingham Trent University, Senior Research Fellow.
- 05/2013 – 04/2015: Nottingham Trent University, Marie Curie Fellow (FP7-PEOPLE-2012-IEF) in Plasmonic Thin Films.
- 01/2012 – 4/2013: Texas A&M University at Qatar, Postdoctoral Research Associate.
- 03/2010 – 12/2011: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department, Postdoctoral Research Associate.
- 05/2009 – 03/2010: Military Service.
- 12/2005 – 05/2009: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Physics Department, PhD in mono- and multi-layered nanostructures of Titanium and Boron based materials.
- 09/2003 – 11/2005: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Multidisciplinary Master of Science in Nanosciences and Nanotechnology.
- 09/1997 – 06/2003: Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Faculty of Engineering, Chemical Engineering Department.
Dr Kalfagiannis research interests revolve around the design, modelling and fabrication of photonic materials, processes and devices.
He is particularly focused on the light interactions with materials:
- As a means of investigating the material’s optο-electronic properties and band structure, which in essence, are considered as non-destructive probe techniques;
- Using high power lasers as a means to engineer, with precision, material’s optical, electrical and structural characteristics;
- Exploit these tailored properties for new applications.
He is interested in:
- Surface plasmon and surface phonon polaritons
- Characterisation of the optical properties of solids via Spectroscopic Ellipsometry
- Finite-difference time-domain calculations
- Laser - matter interactions and metal nano-structuring (more details can be found in http://www.laserplasmon.com/)
- Defect engineering in materials, such as transition metal nitrides, metal oxides, via laser annealing
- Alternative materials for plasmonics (such as transition metal nitrides, transparent conductive oxides, Graphene) in collaboration with Prof. P. Patsalas (Aristotle University of Thessaloniki)
He is the PI of an IR Variable Angle Spectroscopic Ellipsometer (IR-VASE). IR-VASE is the most accurate method for optically characterising thin films in the infrared. It provides accurate optical constants (n and k) from 1.6 to 40 microns (250 – 8000 cm-1) as well as film thickness, chemical information, semiconductor doping levels, and phonon absorption spectra. More information about the system can be found here: https://www.jawoollam.com/products/ir-vase-ellipsometer.
Dr Kalfagiannis is currently the Director of Studies for a PhD studentship in the area of “Defect Engineering of Transparent Conductive Oxides via laser processing for plasmonic applications”. He is also within the supervisory team of two additional PhD programmes (Photonic conversion of sol-gel organometallic precursors into inorganic thin films, Laser annealing of ZnO to produce an ultraviolet light emitting diode).
Opportunities arise to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD in the areas identified above. Further information may be obtained on the NTU Research Degrees website https://www.ntu.ac.uk/research/research-degrees-at-ntu.
Sponsors and collaborators
Dr. Kalfagiannis has an established network of academic and industrial collaborators which include:
- Imperial College London (UK)
- University of Cambridge (UK)
- Sheffield Hallam University (UK)
- PragmatIC Printing Ltd (UK)
- OpSec Security Group Limited (UK)
- Aristotle University of Thessaloniki (Greece)
- University of Ioannina (Greece)
- University of Poitiers (France)
- Institute Pprime (France)
- University of Montpellier (France)
- New University of Lisbon (Portugal)
- CENIMAT|i3N research centre (Portugal)
Dr Kalfagainnis is a visiting member of staff at the Computational Materials Science Laboratory (Department of Materials Science & Engineering of University of Ioannina, Greece) a dedicated computational physics group led by Prof. E. Lidorikis.
Current and past Sponsors include:
- Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP010745) in collaboration with D. C. Koutsogeorgis, Budget: (£219k), Role: Academic advisor and Co-supervisor.
- Laser Annealing for improved flexible electronics (LAFLEXEL), EPSRC Pathfinder Large Area Manufacturing, Budget: (£62k), Role: Co-Investigator.
- Laser manipulation of plasmonic nanostructures (LASER-PLASMON), FP7 Marie Curie Intra-European personal Fellowship, (grant agreement PIEF-GA-2012-330444), Budget: £186k, Role: Marie Curie Fellow.
- Investigation of ferrite nanoparticles based fluids for wettability alteration in carbonate reservoirs (Qatar National Research Fund), Budget: £35k, Role: Co-Investigator.
- Plasmonic architectures for solar energy harvesting, Greek National Research Funds (ARISTEIA II Project No 3049, European Social Fund under the General Secretariat of Research and Development, Greece), Budget: £162k, Role: Co-Investigator.
- Green/Greek Sustainable Lighting, Greek National Research Funds (11ΣΥΝ_5_573 project, European Social Fund under the General Secretariat of Research and Development, Greece), Budget: £147k, Role: Co-Investigator.
- Reinforce Organic Electronics Research Potential in Kentriki Makedonia (ROleMak), FP7-REGPOT-2011-1 (grant agreement 286022), Budget: £1,300k, Role: Co-Investigator.
Invited Review Articles
1. Optical Properties and Plasmonic Performance of Titanium Nitride. P. Patsalas, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Kassavetis, Materials 8(6) 3128-3154 (2015).
2. Conductive Nitrides: Growth Principles, Optical and Electronic Properties, and Their Perspectives in Photonics and Plasmonics. P. Patsalas, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Kassavetis, G. Abadias, D. Bellas, Ch. Lekka, E. Lidorikis, Materials Science and Engineering R 123 1-55 (2018).
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles
1. Broadband luminescence in defect-engineered electrochemically produced porous Si/ZnO nanostructures. S. Dellis, N. Pliatsikas, N. Kalfagiannis, O. Lidor-Shalev, A. Papaderakis, G. Vourlias, S. Sotiropoulos, D. C. Koutsogeorgis, Y. Mastai & P. Patsalas. Scientific Reports 8 Article number: 6988 (2018).
2. Low temperature sputter-deposited ZnO films with enhanced Hall mobility using excimer laser post-processing. C. Tsakonas, V.L. Kuznetsov, W.M. Cranton, N. Kalfagiannis, K.M. Abusabee, D.C. Koutsogeorgis, N. Abeywickrama, P.P. Edwards. Journal of Physics D: Applied Physics 50 (48) 485306 (2017).
3. Simulating the opto-thermal processes involved in laser induced self-assembly of surface and sub-surface plasmonic nano-structuring. D.V. Bellas, D. Toliopoulos, N. Kalfagiannis, A. Siozios, P. Nikolaou, P.C. Kelires, D.C. Koutsogeorgis, P. Patsalas, E. Lidorikis. Thin Solid Films 630 7–24 (2017) (Research highlight in Advances in Engineering).
4. Rapid laser-induced photochemical conversion of sol-gel precursors to In2O3 layers and their application in thin-film transistors. S. Dellis, I. Isakov, N. Kalfagiannis, K. Tetzner, T. D. Anthopoulos, D. C. Koutsogeorgis. Journal of Materials Chemistry C 5 3673-3677 (2017).
5. Photoluminescence enhancement of ZnO via coupling with surface plasmons on Al thin films. S. Dellis, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Kassavetis, C. Bazioti, G. P. Dimitrakopulos, D. C. Koutsogeorgis, P. Patsalas. Journal of Applied Physics 121 103104 (2017).
6. Selective MOdification of Nanoparticle Arrays by Laser-Induced Self Assembly (MONA-LISA): putting control into bottom-up plasmonic nanostructuring. N. Kalfagiannis, A. Siozios, D. V. Bellas, D. Toliopoulos, L. Bowen, N. Pliatsikas, W. M. Cranton, C. Kosmidis, D. C. Koutsogeorgis, E. Lidorikis, P. Patsalas, RSC Nanoscale 8 8236-8244 (2016).
7. Enhanced electrical and optical properties of room temperature deposited Aluminum doped Zinc Oxide (AZO) thin films by excimer laser annealing. S. O. El hamali, W. M. Cranton, N. Kalfagiannis, X. Hou, R. Ranson, D. C. Koutsogeorgis, Journal of Optics and Lasers in Engineering 80 45-51 (2016).
8. Laser annealing-driven structural modifications and diffusion phenomena of plasmonic AlN/Ag stratified films. E. Delli, C. Bazioti, N. Pliatsikas, N. Kalfagiannis, G. Vourlias, A. Siozios, G.P. Dimitrakopoulos, D.C. Koutsogeorgis, P. Patsalas, Surface and Coatings Technology 295 46-53 (2016).
9. Self-assembled plasmonic templates produced by microwave annealing: Applications to surface-enhanced Raman scattering. N. T. Panagiotopoulos, N. Kalfagiannis, K. Vassilopoulos, N. Pliatsikas, S. Kassavetis, G. Vourlias, M. A. Karakassides, and P. Patsalas, Nanotechnology 26 205603 (2015).
10. Sub-surface laser nanostructuring in stratified metal/dielectric media: a versatile platform towards flexible, durable and large-scale plasmonic writing, A. Siozios, N. Kalfagiannis, D. V. Bellas, C. Bazioti, G.P. Dimitrakopulos, G. Vourlias, W.M. Cranton, E. Lidorikis, D. C. Koutsogeorgis, P. Patsalas, Nanotechnology 26 155301 (2015).
11. High performance transistors based on the controlled growth of triisopropylsilylethynylpentacene crystals via non-isotropic solvent evaporation. C. Pitsalidis, N. Hastas, N. Kalfagiannis, P. Karagiannidis, C. Kapnopoulos, A. Ioakeimidis, S. Logothetidis, RSC Advances 4 20804 (2014).
12. Performance of hybrid buffer PEDOT:PSS layers doped with plasmonic silver nanoparticles. N. Kalfagiannis, P. G. Karagiannidis, N. T. Panagiotopoulos, C. Pitsalidis, D. Georgiou, P. Patsalas, E. Lidorikis, S. Logothetidis, Thin solid Films 560 27–33 (2014).
13. In-line spectroscopic ellipsometry for the monitoring of the optical properties and quality of roll-to-roll printed nanolayers for organic photovoltaics. S. Logothetidis, D. Georgiou, A. Laskarakis, C. Koidis, N. Kalfagiannis, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 112 144–156 (2013).
14. Novel nanostructured biomaterials: Implications for coronary stent thrombosis. V. Karagkiozaki , P. G. Karagiannidis, N. Kalfagiannis, P. Patsalas, D. Georgiou, S. Logothetidis, International Journal of Nanomedicine 7 6063–6076 (2012).
15. Effect of buffer layer properties and annealing process on bulk heterojunction morphology and organic solar cell performance. P.G. Karagiannidis, N. Kalfagiannis, D. Georgiou, A. Laskarakis, N.A. Hastas, C. Pitsalidis, S. Logothetidis, Journal of Materials Chemistry 22 1462 (2012).
16. Plasmonic silver nanoparticles for improved organic solar cells. N. Kalfagiannis, P. G. Karagiannidis, C. Pitsalidis, N. T. Panagiotopoulos, C. Gravalidis, S. Kassavetis, P. Patsalas and S. Logothetidis, Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 104 165 (2012).
17. Transparent and Air Stable Organic Field Effect Transistors with Ordered Layers of Dibenzo [d,d] thieno [3,2-b;4,5-b] dithiophene Obtained from Solution. T. Marszalek, M. Kucinska, I. Tszydel, C. Gravalidis, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, A. Yassar, L. Miozzo, A. Nosal, M. Gazicki-Lipman, J. Jung, J. Ulanski, Optical Materials 34 10 1660-1663 (2012).
18. Excess Boron in TiB2 superhard thin films: a combined experimental and ab-initio study. N. Kalfagiannis, G. Volonakis, L. Tsertseris, S. Logothetidis, Journal of Physics D, 44 385402 (2011).
19. Nanomechanical Characterization of Cement-based pastes enriched with SiO2 nanoparticles. I. Zyganitidis, M. Stefanidou, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, Materials Science and Engineering B 176 (19) 1580-1584 (2011).
20. Ultra Sharp Berkovich Indenter Used For Nanoindentation Studies of TiB2 Thin Films. I. Zyganitidis, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, Materials Science and Engineering B 165 (3) 198-201(2009).
21. Optical and Surface Characterization of amorphous Boron Nitride Thin Films for use as blood compatible coatings. S. Lousinian, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, Solid State Sciences 11 (10), 1801-1805 (2009).
22. Atomic force microscopy probing platelet activation behaviour on titanium nitride nanocoatings for biomedical applications. V. Karagkiozaki, S. Logothetidis, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Lousinian, Nanomedicine, Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine 5 (1) 64-72 (2009).
23. Albumin and fibrinogen adsorption on boron nitride and carbon-based thin films. S. Lousinian, N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, Materials Science and Engineering B Volume 152 1-3 12-15 (2008).
24. Trapping and release of impurities in Titanium Nitride. Tsetseris L, Kalfagiannis N, Logothetidis S and S. T. Pantelides, Physical Review B 78 (9): Art. No. 094111 Sep (2008).
25. Role of N defects on thermally induced atomic-scale structural changes in transition-metal nitrides. Tsetseris L, Kalfagiannis N, Logothetidis S and S. T. Pantelides, Physical Review Letters 99 (12): Art. No. 125503 Sep 21 (2007).
26. Structure and interaction of point defects in transition-metal nitrides. Tsetseris L, Kalfagiannis N, Logothetidis S and S. T. Pantelides, Physical Review B 76 (22): Art. No. 224107 Dec (2007).
27. Color Dependency on Optical and Electronic Properties of TiNx Thin Films. N. Kalfagiannis, S. Logothetidis, Reviews on Advanced Materials Science 15 167-172 (2007).
28. Investigation of bilayer period and individual layer thickness of CrN/TiN superlattices by ellipsometry and X-Ray techniques. S. Logothetidis, N. Kalfagiannis, K. Sarakinos and P. Patsalas, Surface and Coatings Technology, 200, 22-23, 6176-6180 (2006).
Invited Book Chapters
1.Laser Annealing as a Platform for Plasmonic Nanostructuring. By Nikolaos Kalfagiannis, Demosthenes C. Koutsogeorgis, Elefterios Lidorikis and Panos Patsalas (DOI: 10.5772/67670) in “Nanoplasmonics: Fundamentals and Applications” ISBN 978-953-51-3278-3 (2017).
Commercialisation & Exploitation Activities
Patent Application Title: Razor Blade Coating, Application number: WO2015EP67477 20150730.
Description: Razor blade comprising a blade edge portion with a profiled geometry, which is covered by a strengthening coating. The strengthening coating comprises a strengthening layer made of a titanium- and boron-containing material. These materials were fabricated in the framework of my Ph.D programme.
Inventors: S. Logothetidis, N. Kalfagiannis, C. Mavroidis, V. Papachristos and M. Karoussis
Applicant: BIC - VIOLEX SA. BIC is the second biggest company worldwide in sales, in both mature and emerging markets, in shaver products.See all of Nikolaos Kalfagiannis's publications...
- Photonics / Plasmonics
- Materials science
- Optical properties of solids
- Fabrication of nano-structures
- Laser processing