Dr Noel Kinrade is a Senior Lecturer in Sport and Exercise Psychology and teaches across the undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes. He is Module Leader for the Level 6 module Performance, Skill and Expertise, as well as contributing to other modules across the curriculum. He is also the Course Leader for the BSc Coaching and Sport Science degree.
In addition, Dr Kinrade actively researches a range of issues related to skill failure under pressure (e.g. choking, falls in elderly/clinical populations) and factors influencing decision making (e.g. individual differences, bias, training).
Dr Kinrade joined Nottingham Trent University in January 2019. After graduating from Sheffield Hallam University in 2003, he continued his academic career at Brunel University London and completed his PhD in 2010 which examined the role of dispositional reinvestment on choking during decision-making in sport. Dr Kinrade’s previous position was as a Lecturer in Sport Psychology, Coaching and Research Methods and the Pathway Lead for BSc Sports Health and Exercise Sciences (Coaching) at Brunel University London (2006-2018).
Dr Kinrade’s research focuses on:
- Attentional processes underlying skill failure
- Factors influencing decision-making
- Skill Acquisition
More specifically, it aims to examine dispositional influences on performance and also to explore the underlying mechanisms of skill failure and susceptibility to biased decision-making in a variety of domains. This includes research around choking under pressure, falls in the elderly or clinical populations, referee and umpire’s decision making and the application of virtual reality in skill acquisition. This research uses a variety of measures such as eye-tracking, video simulations, questionnaires, performance analysis and behavioural responses (e.g. motion capture or decision accuracy).
Dr Kinrade is a member of the Expertise and Skill Acquisition Network and a reviewer for a number of high-quality peer reviewed journals including Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, Psychological Research, Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching, Journal of Motor Behaviour, International Journal of Sport Psychology and Journal of Sports Sciences.
Sponsors and collaborators
Research is currently being conducted with the funding and/or support of:
- Badminton World Federation
- Motorsport UK
- Magistro, D., Carlevaro, F., Magno, F., Simon, M., Camp, N., Kinrade, N., Zecca, M., & Musella, G. (2021). Effects of 1 Year of Lifestyle Intervention on Institutionalized Older Adults. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(14), 7612. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18147612
- Musculus, L., Kinrade, N., Laborde, S., Gleißert, M., Streich, M., & Lobinger, B. H. (2021). Movement-Specific Reinvestment in Older People Explains Past Falls and Predicts Future Error-Prone Movements. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 18(10), 5129. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph18105129
- Young, W. R., Ellmers, T. J., Kinrade, N. P., Cossar, J., & Cocks, A. J. (2020). Re-evaluating the measurement and influence of conscious movement processing on gait performance in older adults: Development of the Gait-Specific Attentional Profile. Gait & Posture, 81, 73-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gaitpost.2020.07.008
- Burnett, A. M., Bishop, D. T., Ashford, K. J., Williams, A. M., & Kinrade, N. P. (2017). Decision-making of English Netball Superleague umpires: Contextual and dispositional influences. Psychology of Sport and Exercise Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 31, 52-60. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2017.04.003
- Kinrade, N. P., Jackson, R. C., & Ashford, K. J. (2015). Reinvestment, task complexity and decision making under pressure in basketball. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 20, 11-19. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2015.03.007
- Laborde, S., Musculus, L., Kalicinski, M., Klämpfl, M. K., Kinrade, N. P., & Lobinger, B. H. (2015). Reinvestment: Examining convergent, discriminant, and criterion validity using psychometric and behavioural measures. Personality and Individual Differences, 78, 77-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.paid.2015.01.020
- Laborde, S., Raab, M., & Kinrade, N. P. (2014). Is the ability to keep your mind sharp under pressure reflected in your heart? Evidence for the neurophysiological bases of decision reinvestment. Biological psychology, 100, 34-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biopsycho.2014.05.003
- Laborde, S., Dosseville, F., & Kinrade, N. (2014). Decision-specific reinvestment scale: an exploration of its construct validity, association with stress and coping appraisals. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2014.01.004
- Jackson, R. C., Kinrade, N. P., Hicks, T., & Wills, R. (2013). Individual propensity for reinvestment: field-based evidence for the predictive validity of three scales. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 44, 331-350. https://doi.org/10.7352/IJSP 2013.00.000
- Kinrade, N. P., Jackson, R. C., & Ashford, K. J. (2010). Dispositional reinvestment and skill failure cognitive and motor tasks. Psychology of Sport & Exercise, 11, 312-319. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychsport.2010.02.005
- Kinrade, N. P., Jackson, R. C., Ashford, K. J., & Bishop, D. T. (2010). Development and validation of the Decision-Specific Reinvestment Scale. Journal of Sports Sciences, 28, 1127-1135. https://doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2010.499439
- Bishop, D. T., Karageorghis, C. I, & Kinrade, N. P. (2009) Effects of musically-induced emotions on subsequent choice reaction-time performance. The Sport Psychologist, 23, 59-76. https://doi.org/10.1123/tsp.23.1.59