Associate Professor in Wearable Technology
Dr Wei is an Associate Professor in Department of Engineering at Nottingham Trent University and the lead of Smart Wearable Research Group which focuses on the development of innovative wearable solutions for a range of military and civilian applications. He is a Charted Engineer and an active steering group committee member of the EPSRC E-Textile network and a member of the IPC Electronic-textile initiative committee. Dr Wei is also the academic expect of Smart Medical Textile at Medical Technologies Innovation Facility (MTIF), a £23M regional investment site on the NTU Clifton campus. MTIF aims to deliver to ISO13485 and ISO10093 standards, which will enable proven wearable devices to be accelerated into medical applications through a “bench to bedside” pathway.
Dr Wei obtained his PhD from the University of Southampton followed by working on a number of large EU and UK projects, including EU PF7 MICROFLEX and EU PF7 CREATIF, EU OR4FAUTO, EPSRC FETT project, MRC SmartMove. Dr Wei currently holds an EPSRC new investigator award on wearable medical textiles (EPSRC EP/I005323/1, £440k) for managing lymphoedema and is co-investigator leading related tasks in the NIHR i4i project (NIHR NIHR202107, ~£1M) developing wearable respiratory sensor for both in hospital and at home use.
Dr Wei has more than 10 years experience in the following areas and is welcome collaborations.
- Smart sensing technology
- Printed electronics
- Flexible and stretchable electronics
- Wearable medical devices
- Additive printing techniques
- Digital healthcare
Opportunities arise to carry out postgraduate research towards an MPhil / PhD in the areas identified above. Further information may be obtained on the NTU Research Degrees website https://www.ntu.ac.uk/research/research-degrees-at-ntu
- Local organisation committee of EPSRC e-textile conference.
- Technical committee of EPSRC E-Textile conference.
- Steering board member of EPSRC E-Textile network
- Technical committee of iMEDiST conference.
- A regular reviewer of Journals including Sensors and Actuators, Smart Materials and Structures, Sensors, Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineerin, Advanced Materials Research, Fibres.
- The guest editor of special issue "Sensors for Biopotential, Physiological and Biomedical Monitoring".
- The guest editor of special issue "Smart textile medical device" of Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics".
Sponsors and collaborators
EU FP7, EPSRC, MRC, Innovate UK, DSTL, SetSquared, Coultershaw Trust
University of Southampton
Southampton General Hospital
ASH Wireless Electronics Ltd
Zaha Hadid Architects
Happy to be involved in the media talking about research, teaching, and enterprise relative topics. Previous expertise projects include light emitting textiles for fashion applications.