Dr Sumich is a Reader in Biopsychology and Mental Health. He is module leader for biological psychology, teaches in mental health and research methods and is staff representative for psychology on the school ethics committee. He is co-ordinator for the mental health and well-being and cognitive neuroscience interest groups.
Dr. Sumich has over 15 years of research experience in cognition and the neurobiology of psychiatric illness, including mood disorders. He obtained an MA (I) in psychology from Auckland University and a PhD in psychology as applied to medicine at the Institute of Psychiatry, London.
Dr Sumich's research interests include the use of neuroimgaing and electrophysiological methods to understand the neurobiology of affect and affect-driven behaviours (depression, empathy, aggression) and perception in clinical and nonclinical populations. He is also interested in the role nutrition, particularly fatty acids, play in healthy brain function.
- BIAL foundation (2003-2005) 'Brain function, creativity, paranormal ideation and risk for psychosis' with Michael Brammer and Dominic Ffytche. (48,000 euros). Completed
- BIAL foundation (2005-2007) 'Event-related potentials and temperament traits in ADHD and conduct disorder' with Katya Rubia and Eric Taylor (£27,772.25). Completed
- Mother and Child foundation (2006-2009) MAAFA Trial: Omega-3 Fatty Acids Supplementation for Adolescent Boys with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. A Double-blind, Randomized Controlled Trial with Eric Taylor, Toshiko Imai, Michael Crawford (£98,214). Completed.
- NTU collective internal funding from Division of Psychology and School of Social Sciences (£12,070) for the upgrade of EEG equipment
- Crystal Mind (2013-present) Effect of EPA on neural correlates of trait aggression in healthy individuals (£15000) ongoing
- BIAL foundation. (2013-present) Body and soul: A computational neurophysiological and qualitative investigation of Ganzfeld-induced imagery (46842 euros) with Nicholas Blagden
Sponsors and collaborators
- Prof Veena Kumari
- Prof Eric Taylor
- Prof Katya Rubia
- Prof Michael Crawford.
- BIAL foundation
- Mother and Child Foundation
- Vifor Pharmaceuticals
- Crystal Mind (TMHC Ltd)