Professor David Crundall is the REF coordinator for Psychology and plays a leading role in shaping the research strategy of the Department of Psychology at Nottingham Trent University.
David gained his PhD in 1999 in psychology before joining the academic staff at the University of Nottingham, rising to senior in 2007. He was Co-Director of the Accident Research Unit and the first Director of the Nottingham Integrated Transport and Environmental Simulation facility (NITES).
David moved to NTU in July 2013 to take up a post as Professor of Psychology, and has built a strong applied cognitive research group focusing on transport safety.
Current research projects include:
- Developing a hazard perception test for emergency service drivers
- Training drivers in car maintenance and mindfulness
- Developing a hazard perception test for LGV drivers
- Working with the DVSA to develop a combined theory/HP testing and training tool
- Working with Dr. Duncan Guest to assess the safety skills of mobility scooter users
- Assessing the cross-cultural compatibility of hazard perception testing
- Assessing and training the visual search of lifeguards
- Using eye movements to determine consumer purchasing behaviour
- Developing gamification techniques for perceptual learning
- Member of the Economic and Social Research Council's Peer Review College
- Member of the Parliamentary Advisory Council on Transport Safety (Road User Behaviour Working Group)
- Member of Traffic Psychology International
- Member of the Experimental Psychology Society and the International Association of Applied psychologists
Sponsors and collaborators
Current and previous sponsors include:
- EPSRC, ESRC
- Department for Transport, Driving Standard Agency, Highways Agency, Vehicle and Operator Service Agency
- Merseyside Road Safety Partnership, Institute of Advanced Motorists, Nuffield Foundation, Road Safety Trust, Fire Service Research and Training Trust, The Anglo-Israeli Association, Santander
- XPI, Honda UK, DHS Ltd., BSM, Sesame Systems Ltd., Streetbroadcast, Jaguar Land Rover
Professor Crundall has made several appearances on national and local radio and television, including:
- BBC Breakfast Show (2015). Interview on Graduated Driver Licensing (Brands Hatch).
- Slifkin, E., (Producer). (July, 2014). How bad is your driving [ITV, Television series episode 17]
- Boome, A. (Editor) (2012). How Safe are Britain's Roads [BBC 2, Television series episode 2]
- Expert spokespeson for the 'THINK BIKER!' road safety campaign, launched by the Department for Transport on 26 February 2010.
- Stanford, D. (Editor) (2007) Young drivers [Television series episode]. In M. Lewis (Producer) The real story with Fiona Bruce, Manchester: British Broadcasting Corporation.