Emanuele is a Senior lecturer in the Department of Psychology at NTU. He teaches across a number of modules in the curriculum, including Advanced Social Psychology, Research Methods, and the undergraduate Psychometrics & Scale Development Project Lab.
Emanuele studied at Sapienza University of Rome, where he completed his PhD in the field of social representations in 2013, under the supervision of Prof Annamaria de Rosa. He then worked in research in the private sector, and from 2016 to 2018 in psychometrics and data analysis at Sheffield Medical School. From 2018 to 2020 he was Senior Lecturer and Chair of the Assessment Group at Aston Medical School. He joined the Department of Psychology at Nottingham Trent University in 2020, where he is member of the Behavioural Addiction and Cyberpsychology research groups.
He is a Chartered Member of the British Psychological Society (CPsychol) and a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA).
Emanuele's research mainly focusses on psychological measurement and theory testing. Research areas range from mental health and addiction, sexualities, and public understanding of science. His research uses a variety of methods, from Structural Equation Modeling to Item Response Theory and text mining applications.
- Fino, E., Jaspal, R., Lopes, B., Wignall, L. & Bloxsom, C., (2021). The Sexual Risk Behaviors Scale (SRBS): development and validation in a university student sample in the UK. Evaluation and the Health Professions, 44(2), 152-160.
- Breakwell, G.M., Fino, E. & Jaspal, R., (2021). COVID-19 preventive behaviours in White British and Black, Asian and minority ethnic people in the UK. Journal of Health Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Fino, E., Hanna-Khalil, B. & Griffiths, M.D., (2021). Exploring the public’s perception of gambling addiction on Twitter during the COVID-19 pandemic: topic modelling and sentiment analysis. Journal of Addictive Diseases. Advance online publication.
- Breakwell, G.M., Fino, E. & Jaspal, R., (2021). The COVID-19 Preventive Behaviors Index: development and validation in two samples from the United Kingdom. Evaluation & the Health Professions, 44(1), 77-86.
- Jaspal, R., Fino, E. & Breakwell, G., (2020). The COVID-19 Own Risk Appraisal Scale (CORAS): development and validation in two samples from the United Kingdom. Journal of Health Psychology. Advance online publication.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., Schiavella, M. & Candilera, G., (2020). Individual differences in interpersonal security predict suicidal ideation and problem gambling. Personality and Individual Differences, 162, 110031.
- Iliceto, P., D'Antuono, L., Fino, E., Carcione, A., Candilera, G., Silva, C. and Joiner, T.E., (2020). Psychometric properties of the Italian version of the Interpersonal Needs Questionnaire-15 (INQ-15-I). Journal of Clinical Psychology, 77(1), 1-18.
- Wardle, H., Banks, J., Bebbington, P., Blank, L., Bowden Jones, H., Bramley, S., Bunn, C., Casey, E., Cassidy, R., Chamberlain, S.R., Close, J., Critchlow, N., Dobbie, F., Downs, C., Dymond, S., Fino, E., Goyder, E., Gray, C., Griffiths, M., et al. (2020). Open letter from UK based academic scientists to the secretaries of state for digital, culture, media and sport and for health and social care regarding the need for independent funding for the prevention and treatment of gambling harms. BMJ, 370, m2613.
- Fino, E., Pierleoni, L., Cosmi, V., Giuliani, M., & Gambino, G. (2020). Using internet predicts attitudes towards sexual behaviour in Italian psychology students. Sexologies, 29(1), e27–e33.
- Fino, E., & Hanna-Khalil, B. (2020). Psychometric Post-Examination Analysis in Medical Education Training Programs. In Handbook of Research on the Efficacy of Training Programs and Systems in Medical Education (pp. 221–242). IGI Global.
- de Rosa, Annamaria Silvana, Fino, E., & Bocci, E. (2019). From the Psychoanalyst’s Couch to Social Networks. In Advanced Methodologies and Technologies in Media and Communications (pp. 391–404). IGI Global.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., Schiavella, M., & Oei, T. P. (2019). Psychometric properties of the Italian versions of the Gambling Urge Scale (GUS) and the gambling refusal self-efficacy questionnaire (GRSEQ). International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 1–20.
- Qureshi, A., Fino, E., Vivekananda-Schmidt, P., & Sandars, J. (2019). Validating an adapted questionnaire to measure belongingness of medical students in clinical settings. Cogent Medicine, 6(1), 1620087.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., & Schiavella, M. (2018). Validity and reliability of the Italian Gambling Functional Assessment–Revised. International Gambling Studies, 18(3), 383–394.
- Fino, E., Giuliani, M., Pierleoni, L., Gambino, G., Cosmi, V., & Simonelli, C. (2018). Factor Structure and Psychometric Properties of the Italian Version of the Homosexuality Scale of the Trueblood Sexual Attitudes Questionnaire. Journal of Homosexuality, 65(6), 784–796.
- Iliceto, P., & Fino, E. (2017). The Italian version of the Wong-Law Emotional Intelligence Scale (WLEIS-I): A second-order factor analysis. Personality and Individual Differences, 116, 274–280.
- de Rosa, A. S., Fino, E., & Bocci, E. (2016). Les réseaux sociaux, nouvel espace interactif pour les représentations sociales et l’intervention. En discutant de psychanalyse, de psychiatrie et de santé mentale sur Facebook, Twitter et Yahoo! Answers [Social networks, a novel interactive space for social representations and intervention. Talking about psychoanalysis, psychiatry, and mental health on Facebook, Twitter, and Yahoo! Answers]. In L’intervention en sciences humaines. L’importance des représentations (pp. 271–297). Presse de l’Université Laval.
- Iliceto, P., & Fino, E. (2015). Beck Hopelessness Scale (BHS): A second-order confirmatory factor analysis. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 31(1), 31–37.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., Cammarota, C., Giovani, E., Petrucci, F., Desimoni, M., Sabatello, U., Candilera, G., & Oei, T. P. (2015). Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Italian version of the Gambling Related Cognitions Scale (GRCS-I). Journal of Gambling Studies, 31(1), 225–242.
- Iliceto, P., & Fino, E. (2014). La «Gambling Related Cognitions Scale» (GRCS-I): Uno strumento valido nell’assessment di cognizioni relative al gioco d’azzardo nella popolazione italiana [The Gambling Related Cognitions Scale (GRCS-I): A valid scale for the assessment of gambling related cognition in the Italian population]. Psicoterapia Cognitiva e Comportamentale, 20, 71–77.
- Fino, E., Melogno, S., Iliceto, P., D’Aliesio, S., Pinto, M. A., Candilera, G., & Sabatello, U. (2014). Executive functions, impulsivity, and inhibitory control in adolescents: A structural equation model. Advances in Cognitive Psychology, 10(2), 32.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., Sabatello, U., & Candilera, G. (2014). Personality and suicidal ideation in the elderly: Factorial invariance and latent means structures across age. Aging & Mental Health, 18(6), 792–800.
- Fino, E., & Aiello, S. (2014). Le rappresentazioni sociali delle adozioni LGBT in Italia. Analisi del contenuto di conversazioni spontanee tra utenti Facebook [Social representations of LGBT adoptions in Italy. Content analysis of spontaneous conversations among acebook users]. Rivista Di Sessuologia Clinica, 21(1), 45–66.
- de Rosa, Annamaria Silvana, Fino, E., & Bocci, E. (2014). Addressing Healthcare On-Line Demand and Supply Relating to Mental Illness: Knowledge Sharing About Psychiatry and Psychoanalysis Through Social Networks in Italy and France. In Dynamics of Competitive Advantage and Consumer Perception in Social Marketing (pp. 16–55). IGI Global.
- Iliceto, P., Fino, E., Pasquariello, S., D’Angelo Di Paola, M. E., & Enea, D. (2013). Predictors of success in smoking cessation among Italian adults motivated to quit. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 44(5), 534–540.
- Rega, I., Vannini, S., Fino, E., & Cantoni, L. (2013). Exploring the meanings of community multimedia centers in Mozambique: A social representation perspective. Information Technologies & International Development, 9(4), 35–54.
- De Rosa, A. S., Fino, E., & Bocci, E. (2012). La psychanalyse, son image et son public” fifty years later: Explorations via social networks. Symposium ‘The European PhD on Social Representations and Communication Research Centre and Multimedia Lab: An Incubator for New Generations of Young Researchers’ Part, 2.
- Fino, E. (2012). Le rappresentazioni della psicologia fra gli studenti di psicologia e gli psicologi [Representations of psychology among psychology students and psychologists]. Psicologi a Confronto, 6(1), 97–116.