Lucy is an Associate Professor in Psychology. As part of the undergraduate psychology courses, Lucy supervises third year projects and contributes to the social development in children and adolescents module. At Masters level, Lucy contributes to modules on social psychology. Lucy also supervises a number of PhD students working in the area of social development.
Lucy previously worked at Keele University as a Lecturer and Teaching Fellow.
Lucy's main research interests lie within the area of social developmental psychology. In particular, Lucy's work focuses on experiences of cyber bullying, face-to-face bullying, and harassment. One current strand of research examines young people’s experiences of cyber bullying, the impacts of cyber bullying for psychosocial adjustment, and adolescents' perceptions of the relative risk of experiencing cyber bullying. A second strand of ongoing research explores young people’s experiences of street harassment.
Previously, Lucy has also examined the importance of children's peer relationships as a contributing factor for children's school adjustment including topics such as trust, the antecedents of peer status, and attachment. Aligned to her research interests on school adjustment, Lucy has also been involved with projects exploring the role of technology in secondary schools as a method of enhancing students' engagement and performance.
Current PhD Students:
- Meshal Al-Sager (Director of Studies)
- Sarah Buglass (Second Supervisor)
- Sarah Gardner (Director of Studies)
- Peter Macaulay (Director of Studies)
- Oonagh Steer (Director of Studies)
- Jade Streete (Second Supervisor)
Lucy engages in a range in external activity, she is currently a(n):
- Chartered psychologist
- Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society
- Member of the British Psychological Society’s Division of Teachers and Researchers in Psychology and the Developmental Section
- Honorary treasure of the British Psychological Society’s Mathematics, Statistics, and Computing section
- Graduate member of the Society for Research in Child Development
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Lucy is part of the editorial board for Small Group Research and the British Journal of Education Technology. Additionally, Lucy also acts as a peer reviewer for a number of journals, publishers, and grant agencies within the fields of social, developmental, and educational psychology. Lucy has also acted as an external examiner for undergraduate courses, taught postgraduate courses, and PhDs.
Sponsors and collaborators
Currently, Lucy is also leading a team of staff from the Department of Psychology at NTU who are contributing to the TKCOM project funded by the Erasmus+ scheme lead by Dr Elena Cano (University of Barcelona, Spain). This three year project also involves international collaborations lead by:
- Dr Marai Pessoa (University of Coimbra, Portugal)
- Professor Yule Jin (Southwest Normal University, China)
- Dr Jainping Xu (Beijing University, China)
- Professor Aibao Zhou (Northwest Normal University, China)
Lucy also continues to collaborate with colleagues on research in the areas of social developmental psychology and education:
- Dr Trinidad Garcia (University of Oviedo)
- Professor James Hartley (Keele University)
- Dr James Houston (Ulster University)
- Dr Anna Narayanan (Bharathiar University)
- Professor Ken Rotenberg (Keele University)
- Dr Mark Trueman (Keele University)
Lucy has also worked with a number of schools, Age UK Cheshire, and Nottingham Forest Community Trust on a range of research projects. In the past Lucy's research has been supported by the British Academy, the British Psychological Society, and BECTA. Lucy has also received funding from the ESRC to hold an event on street harassment as part of the ESRC’s annual festival of Social Sciences.
- Bullying, cyberbullying, and harassment
- Children's peer relationships
- School adjustment
- Digital technology use and wellbeing