Dr Mark Andrews is a Senior Lecturer in Psychology and teaching duties include teaching advanced statistics to undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Mark has a PhD and MSc in Cognitive Science from Cornell University. After his graduate school, he became a postdoctoral research fellow in University College London, with positions first in the Gatsby Computational Neuroscience Unit and later in the Division of Psychology and Language Sciences.
Research interests are in computational cognitive science, and the application of mathematical and statistical models to the understanding of human cognition.
Mark is a Research Associate in University College London. Along with this, he is an Associate Editor of the British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology.
Sponsors and collaborators
Mark has active collaborations with University College London and University of Nijmegen.
- Andrews, M. Frank, S. & Vigliocco, G. (In Press) Reconciling Embodied and Distributional Accounts of Meaning in Language. Topics in Cognitive Science
- Andrews, M. (In Press) Probabilistic Language Modeling with Hidden Stochastic Automata. Proceedings of the 35th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society.
- Vigliocco, G., Kousta, S., Vinson, D.P., Andrews, M., Del Campo, E. (2013). The Representation of Abstract Words: What Matters? Reply to Paivio's (2013) Comment on Kousta et al. (2011). Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. Vol. 142(1), pp. 288-291.
- Andrews, M., Baguley, T. (2013). Prior approval: The growth of Bayesian methods in psychology. British Journal of Mathematical & Statistical Psychology Vol. 66(1), pp. 1-7.
- Vinson, D., Andrews, M., Vigliocco, G. (2013). Giving words meaning: Why better models of semantics are needed in language production research. In V. Ferreira, M. Goldrick & M. Miozzo (Eds.), Oxford Handbook of Language Production.
- Vigliocco, G. & Andrews, M. (2012). The Limitations of the Distributional Hypothesis: Augmenting Distributional Statistics with Experiential Data. In Pier Marco Bertinetto, Valentina Bambini, Irene Ricci (eds.) Language and the Brain -- Semantics. Rome, Italy: Bulzoni.
- Andrews, M. (2011). A review of Doing Bayesian Data Analysis: A Tutorial Using R and BUGS by J. Kruschke. British Journal of Mathematical & Statistical Psychology Vol. 64(3), pp. 538-540.
- Kousta, S., Vigliocco, G., Vinson, D. P, Andrews, M. & Del Campo, E. (2011). The Representation of Abstract Words: Why Emotion Matters. Journal of Experimental Psychology-General, Vol. 140(1). pp. 14-34.
- Andrews, M. & Vigliocco, G. (2010) The Hidden Markov Topic Model: A Probabilistic Model of Semantic Representation. Topics in Cognitive Science, Vol. 2, pp. 101-113.
- Andrews, M. & Vigliocco, G. (2009) Learning Semantic Representations with Hidden Markov Topic Models. Proceedings of the 31st Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society (This paper was awarded the annual prize for computational modeling of language at the Cognitive Science Conference.)
- Vigliocco, G., Meteyard, L., Andrews, M. & Kousta S. (2009) Toward a Theory of Semantic Representation. Language and Cognition, Vol. 1(2).
- Andrews, M., Vigliocco, G. & Vinson, D. (2009). Integrating Experiential and Distributional Data to Learn Semantic Representations. Psychological Review, Vol. 116(3), pp 463-498.
- Andrews, M. & Vinson, D. & Vigliocco, G. (2008). Inferring a Probabilistic Model of Semantic Memory from Word Association Norms. Proceedings of the 30th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society.
- Andrews, M. & Vigliocco, G. & Vinson, D. (2007). Evaluating the Contribution of Intra-linguistic and Extra-linguistic Data to the Structure of Human Semantic Represenations. Proceedings of the 29th Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society.
- Andrews, M. & Vigliocco, G. & Vinson, D. (2005). Integrating Attributional and Distributional Information in a Probabilistic Model of Meaning Representation. In Timo Honkela, Ville Könönen, Matti Pöllä, and Olli Simula, editors, Adaptive Knowledge Representation and Reasoning. Pages 15-25.
- Andrews, M. & Vigliocco, G. & Vinson, D. (2005). The Role of Attributional and Distributional Information in Semantic Representation. Proceedings of the Twenty Seventh Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society.
- Andrews, M. & Salzberg, C. (2004) Sexual and Asexual Paradigms in Evolution: The Implications for Genetic Algorithms? Proceedings of the Genetics and Evolutionary Computation Conference (Gecco-04) .
- Andrews, M. (2003) Language Learning and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems., Ph.D Dissertation, Cornell University.
- Andrews, M. (2001) Processing and Recognition of Symbol Sequences, in K. S. Johanna D. Moore, ed., Proceedings of the Twenty Third Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, pp. 61-65
Mark has expertise in the following areas:
- Human memory
- Human language learning
- Artificial intelligence.