Dr Rowena Hill is a Principal Lecturer in External Engagement and Partnerships working across the School of Social Sciences (Politics and International Relations, Psychology, Social Work and Health, Sociology, Criminology, Youth Justice, Career Guidance and Education) building opportunities for knowledge exchange between academics, communities, students, and organisations. She provides leadership and strategic and operational management across the school in this area.
As an active researcher, Rowena’s research areas focus on the wellbeing of the individual and their family within critical occupations (particularly the emergency services). Her research interests also include pathways of secondary trauma through family units, family functioning, perceptions of risk, traumatic reactions, secondary trauma, growth, resilience, aspects of disaster response work and well-being.
Recent work has explored:
- aspects of the home–family interface and spillover between these domains;
- establishing prevalence rates of national wellbeing for specific occupations; and
- resilience within families.
She has worked extensively with the emergency services and seeks to support them in evidence-based decision-making and collaborative research with academia.
Most of Rowena’s work seeks to establish local, regional and national collaborations and partnerships. Her aim is to build quality research and teaching opportunities across the School of Social Sciences through these collaborations.
She has extensive experience acting as an external advisor on validation panels both nationally and internationally, as well as external examining and chief external examining. She also has experience of establishing and leading international course collaboration between academic institutions.
She holds a number of membership and positions within other organisations:
- Chartered Psychologist and Fellow of the British Psychological Society (British Psychological Society; BPS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Psychologist and Digest Policy Committee (BPS)
- Affiliate Member of the Institution of Fire Engineers (IFE)
- Chair of the Fire-Related Academic and Practitioner Research (IFE Special Interest Group).
Course(s) I teach on