Livery at NTU
We offer a limited number of student liveries so you can bring your horse with you to NTU.
DIY livery at Brackenhurst Equestrian Centre
DIY livery is available to students studying at Brackenhurst Campus. Priority is given to year one students studying on equine courses, with applications from other years and subject areas considered if/when spaces become available.
You will have access to all the equestrian centre facilities, including:
- Indoor and outdoor schools
- Research arena
- Horse walker
- Round pen
We have two yards for liveries; both are Harlow Box yards that are situated right next to the indoor school on the main yard. Each yard has a tack room and each stable has a tack locker allocated to it in the tack room. There is a 6-arm rug drier allocated to each livery yard and a wash box for all liveries. A network of public bridleways also surrounds Brackenhurst.
We do our best to offer daily turnout throughout the year, weather permitting. Spaces are allocated according to what paddock space we have available. Mares and geldings have separate paddocks and once we have found groups of horses that are happy together, we try not to change them. It may sometimes be necessary for the yard manager to limit access to grazing to avoid long term damage to the clay land. Should this action become necessary time is allocated to you for loose schooling your horse in the research arena and for using the horse walker and round pens.
Our prices for 2021-22:
|Service||Charge (excluding VAT)||Payable|
|DIY livery: Stable, turn-out, storage facilities, wormer on arrival and three bales of bedding||£1,260 annual fee||In three termly fixed payments via NTU online store or invoice|
|Further wormers and other chargeable materials and services||At cost||One month in retrospect via NTU online store|
Prices are for ‘Do It Yourself’ (DIY) livery only. Please note that we do not offer any other type of livery. Cost of feed and bedding etc. is on top of this. Liveries order and pay for their own feed and bedding, however we can supply a list of local suppliers to help you with this.
Period of livery
The provision of the DIY livery service is from Sunday 26 September 2021 - Sunday 5 June 2022.
How to book
Booking for 2021-22 is now open:
Places are limited and applications are accepted, however not guaranteed, on a first come, first served basis. Individual cases for having more than one horse will be considered if space permits. You may be put on a waiting list if all spaces are filled.
Stables need to be reapplied for each year, even if you are already a livery client.
All of the horses settled into the livery yard quickly and it always has a calm aura with an organised set-up that works well for both owners and horses alike.
Maddie, BSc (Hons) Equine Behaviour, Health and Welfare
- We do not allow stallions/colts or horses that are not backed/broken in (in case we cannot offer turn out for any reason as although they can be loose schooled it restricts what else they can do for exercise).
- Horses must be fully vaccinated against the equine influenza virus and we currently require horses to be vaccinated every 6 months whilst liveried on NTU premises but this may be subject to change.
- We are a yard that is part of the Redwings Horse Sanctuary Stamp Out Strangles Scheme. Your horse must therefore have a negative Strangles test before arrival. You will receive more details about this if offered a place.
- Horses can stay during Christmas and Easter holidays or go home depending on your preference. However, all horses have to leave at the end of the summer term (May/June time) as we then steam clean and paint all of the stables ready for the next academic year and livery intake.
If you have any questions about our livery or bringing your horse to NTU, we're happy to help. Please email us.