Skip to content

Student Support

Mental health support

If the applicant has a diagnosed mental health condition and they have not already alerted the University to this on their application form, we recommend that they email to discuss their personal circumstances with a member of our Mental Health Support team.

We have a variety of specialist teams that can offer different levels of support. Our Mental Health team support students with a diagnosed mental health condition and offer specialist mentoring support to remove barriers to study for students with mental health difficulties. This support is funded through Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA).

Students can also contact the Wellbeing team for support with personal, emotional or mental health difficulties or issues which are impacting their studies and university experience using our wellbeing form.

We also have a Counselling team which offers a safe place to talk about personal, emotional, and psychological problems with a supportive and trained professional.

For the University to set up an access statement (this is a document that will recommend reasonable adjustments that can be made to support their studies) we need medical evidence clearly stating their diagnosis and duration of the diagnosis from a GP or medical professional.

If they are applying for DSA, they should ask their GP to complete the medical proforma provided by DSA. You may also be able to provide GP letters, letters from Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAMHS) or other medical professionals that have been supporting them.

If you have any questions about your personal circumstances, please email

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

DSA can fund one-to-one specialist mentoring and, in some cases, IT equipment and books.

Visit the Government’s DSA advice page to check if an applicant is eligible to apply, and then proceed with an application.

The Assessment of Needs costs around £650, but this is covered by the DSA fund.

The application process can take a minimum of four weeks, so apply as soon as possible. Email our Mental Health Support team on for advice and guidance about the evidence needed and the process.

This depends on the nature of the disability or condition(s). It might be a GP letter, Educational Psychologist report or a letter from a health professional.

For students with Specific Learning Difficulties, they normally require a post-16 Educational Psychologist report to access the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

The University does accept assessments from Schools or Colleges (sometimes known as a Form8) to register with the service and to complete an institutional Access Statement, to make specific support arrangements such as additional time in exams.

To check your personal circumstances, contact the relevant team by email:

Disability support

This depends on your disability or condition(s) and how they may impact your studies.

We review the evidence you provide, and set up an Access Statement which documents the range of support available. This is personalised, but it might include such reasonable adjustments as 25% extra time in exams.