Terms of reference
The roles and responsibilities of the University Executive Team.
Scope and purpose
The Articles of Government prescribe that the Vice-Chancellor is responsible to the Board of Governors for the conduct of the University including:
- making proposals to the Board of Governors about the educational character and mission of the University, and for implementing the decisions of the Board of Governors
- the organisation, direction and management of the University and leadership of the staff
- the appointment, assignment, grading, performance review, suspension, dismissal, and determination of the pay and conditions of service of staff
- the determination, after consultation with the Academic Board, of the University's academic activities, and for the determination of its other activities
- preparing annual estimates of income and expenditure, for consideration by the Board of Governors, and for the management of budget and resources, within the estimates approved by the Board of Governors, and
- the maintenance of student discipline, the suspension or expulsion of students on disciplinary grounds and for implementing decisions to expel students for academic reasons.
The University Executive Team’s role is to provide collective advice and guidance to the Vice-Chancellor in the areas noted below in the exercise of these responsibilities (undertaking individual responsibility where within role scope or when requested).
Duties and responsibilities
- To understand and interpret the strategic issues affecting the sector and review, discuss and disseminate analyses of the same with particular focus on how these impact the University.
- To provide guidance and leadership on the academic direction of the University referring matters to the Academic Board or the Board of Governors as appropriate.
- To provide guidance and leadership on the strategic direction of the University referring matters to the Board of Governors where appropriate.
- To provide advice and leadership on the creation of the University Strategy ahead of this being considered and approved by the Board of Governors.
- To provide guidance and leadership on student facing initiatives at the University referring matters to the Academic Board, Nottingham Trent Students' Union or the Board of Governors where appropriate.
- To formulate the University’s Admissions Policy for each Academic Year ahead of this being endorsed by Academic Board and approved by the Board of Governors.
- To provide advice and guidance in accordance with the financial parameters set out in the University’s Scheme of Delegation in respect of capital projects (including construction, acquisition, refurbishment and leasing of properties relating to those projects) in the University’s capital programme.
- To action business critical and operational issues allocating responsibilities to individual UET members or delegating to colleagues as appropriate.
- To review and approve selected new and revised University policies.
- To be responsible for ensuring that the implementation of University's strategies and policies is communicated effectively to all within the University.
- To review the agenda and review the papers scheduled for discussion by the Board of Governors and its sub-committees.
- To review and propose the University's budget to the Strategy, Policy, Finance and Resources Committee and the Board of Governors.
- To receive and monitor School and Professional Services Reviews documentation.
- To monitor and review the performance of individual Schools and Professional Service areas to maximise their contribution and impact within the University and the wider Higher Education environment.
- To consider any proposed restructuring or realignment plans within the University.
- To ensure the effective management of the University's financial, physical and human resources.
- To ensure that the University complies at all times with legislation, regulations and advisory recommendations insofar as these affect the University.
- To ensure that the University's activities reflect those of an environmentally responsible and sustainable organisation.
- To ensure that the University’s activities reflect those of an equal, diverse and inclusive organisation.
- To establish such sub-committees of UET as may be required for particular projects or initiatives.
- To convene separately the UET membership in order to meet other University objectives as required.
- To retain ultimate responsibility for those areas reserved to UET within the University’s Scheme of Delegation, such as the approval of the establishment of a University Spin-Out Company.
The University Executive Team comprises the following members (as may be amended from time to time):
- Vice-Chancellor (Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic Development and Performance) (Deputy Chair)
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor/Interim Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research and Innovation)
- Chief Operating Officer and Registrar
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education)
- Pro Vice-Chancellor (International)
- Director of Business Development and Analytics
- Director of Finance
- Director of Human Resources
- Director of Marketing and Communications.
The Executive Deans (including CEO of Confetti) are members of the Extended UET group and attend Extended UET meetings to help shape, discuss and oversee the implementation of strategic decisions.
Servicing and support
Servicing and support for UET will be provided by the Governance Services team.
Papers are to be received by the Governance Services team by the close of business on the Wednesday preceding the next meeting unless agreed otherwise.
Subject to proposed agenda content, meetings of UET will be held weekly.